Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Porcelain tile cleaning! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JodiK

Hi there! I am after some advice from anyone that might be in the know. I have both porceline and ceramic tiles in my house. A few years ago I read somewhere that you could clean your tiles/grout with car polish. I really want to double check what others think! My porcel;ine floor is only a few years old. When it was first laid we buffed and sealed the tiles but I don't think we did a very good job sealing them!!! We have heaps of sealant left! I was wondering if I could use a car buffer with polish on it to create a silicone type sealant on the grout! This is something that is driving me nuts! Any ideas??? Many thanks Jodi

E

enduro

DO NOT put car polish on your floors tiles. When they get wet they will be very slippery, ceramic tiles do not need sealing. Are the porceline polished? And what sealer have you used. I would use Aqua mix grout colorant on the grout, this in an Epoxy coating that will sort your grout problem out. If you go onto facebook and put in poshstonefloors you can see a few photos of floors i have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JodiK

Hi! Thankyou for your advice! I did not think the car polish would do (hence the questions!!!) but am seeking how best to clean/maintain them! I have tried a couple of different things and we are not financial enough to get someone in every 6 months!When they were first laid just over 2 1/2 yrs ago they came with a wax coating on it. They are cream in colour and shiny and we hired one of those large buffers to buff it up with a special tile cleaner (like 'ajax' - cream cleanser). We then put a sealant called 'mirco-pore sealant' on it. At the time it seemed to make it them look cloudy. The grout is antique white when it was laid but it is now a gross brown colour and I just want them back to beautiful! When they laid the tiles the grout lines are quite deep (I think they pushed out too much grout too early-not that happy with their job!) so is there anything on the market that can 'fill' those deep lines with a silicone or resin or something??? I have the same problem in our shower for the wall tiles (but those are ceramic). Thankyou so much again for your advice. I do like to learn about things opposed to paying someone else to do jobs! My husband loves it when I say that -ha ha! Appreciate your responses. JodiK

J

JodiK

I just had a look at your web site Enduro! I wish our tiling job was as nice as those. they were meant to look like the top 2 pics but ours is cream in colour instead of that darker colour. I think our grout lines are very deep in comparision! We tiled our back alfresco area and made sure the lines were filled and they are nice to walk on! Short of regrouting I am seeking the second part of my solution - is there anything that can 'fill' it and protect the colour of the grout? Is that the Aqua mix you were talking about?

Reply to Porcelain tile cleaning! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Porcelain tile cleaning!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.