UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss porcelain tile cutting problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

ducktape

Hi guys - I need some help...

I've been a tiler for 15 years and I've never run across this problem before, I am installing 300 x 600 porcelain tiles and I simply can not cut them without them shattering, splintering or chipping. I started off using my rubi tx 900 because most cuts are simple straight cuts, but the tile doesn't follow the scribe line (I've even tried scoring the back which worked on one occasion), I 've tried scoring the line several times and have new scoring blade. I've tried scoring then dry cutting with brand new diamond blade but it chips (the tile chips so badly I can't rub out with a diamond pad) and I have tried wet cutting with and without a scoring line made first same problem as dry cutting chips too serve to rub out.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great on this problem

P

Perfect Tiling

I have had similar problems with porcelain tiles not following the scribe line and chipping when you try to snap them using the head of the machine. I found a way around it by scribing on the cutter then leaving the tile in place on the cutter and breaking it with downward hand pressure or by hitting with a nylon hammer. I know it doesn't sound very professional...but if it works......

D

ducktape

sorry the tile name is land fusion bianco, I referred to the type gres fine porcellanato as that may have been more help... I'd have a dewalt D24000 but I had all my tools nicked 3 months ago and it is not easy or financially possible to replace all tools in one go. So I borrowed a mates tables saw and put a new blade in it but still chips. I realise we've all had tiles not break right but this is consistent throughout the batch of tiles I have... I m even considering the is a problem with the tiles as in not fired correctly at manufacture they seem to be to brittle if that makes sense???

This is the first time I have encountered this problem, so I thought I would seek help..

C

CNC Ceramics

When snapping tile on Rubi press down on tile really hard after scoring once. guys - I need some help...
I've been a tiler for 15 years and I've never run across this problem before, I am installing 300 x 600 porcelain tiles and I simply can not cut them without them shattering, splintering or chipping. I started off using my rubi tx 900 because most cuts are simple straight cuts, but the tile doesn't follow the scribe line (I've even tried scoring the back which worked on one occasion), I 've tried scoring the line several times and have new scoring blade. I've tried scoring then dry cutting with brand new diamond blade but it chips (the tile chips so badly I can't rub out with a diamond pad) and I have tried wet cutting with and without a scoring line made first same problem as dry cutting chips too serve to rub out.
Any ideas or thoughts would be great on this problem[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

H

hillhead

I'v only ever came across one porcelain that doesn't snap on even my sigmas-
Leonardo Casia beige ( a pig in disguise).
I had two big floors last year of this porcelain and they even wrecked a 200 quid 300mm wet saw sigma blade.:incazzato:
I ended up doing all cuts with the 4.5" grinder with markrist blade.
I'm currently using and testing a blade from stonetools and it's truly amazing so far.

E

enduro

I'v only ever came across one porcelain that doesn't snap on even my sigmas-
Leonardo Casia beige ( a pig in disguise).
I had two big floors last year of this porcelain and they even wrecked a 200 quid 300mm wet saw sigma blade.:incazzato:
I ended up doing all cuts with the 4.5" grinder with markrist blade.
I'm currently using and testing a blade from stonetools and it's truly amazing so far.
Been driving past Stonetools a couple of times a week, didnt even know they were so close to me until a few weeks ago the put a sign on there unit and opened up a trade counter. Got some real good products.

T

Time's Ran Out

On that size tile we'd generally just use a Rubi with a new 6mm wheel. However mine is that old that the snapping mechanism is no more, so we just take the edge of a hammer to the back (down the scribed line) and tap! Works 99% of the time and the other 1% is because the son has done it!
But if the porcelain is of a textured face then you have to make sure the scribe is decent.

Reply to porcelain tile cutting problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
porcelain tile cutting problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.