UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss porcelain tile cutting problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

ducktape

I tried two new wheels one 8mm and one 18mm, 8mm was better, tried new blade in the grinder but chipped to badly even after scoring and the same happened with wet cutting... I was getting a 1 in 4 success result which I didn't feel was acceptable result (i understand and accept the odd tile not breaking right), the rep got worse results 1 in 6. So con seeded something was not right, the manufacturer has just got back and have been through batch management, they will replace all tiles with new batch...

whilst this has been a pain I m now a week behind schedule, I m happy with the outcome of replacement tiles.

cheers guys for the help

D

Deleted member 1779

On a similar (but slightly different) note have you had any trouble drilling them?

Let me know if you have any problems with either the old batch or the new batch.

tile_drill18.jpg

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS DRILLING THE PORCELAIN - LET ME KNOW

Reminds me of a time when as a teenager in the school holidays, on a job with my old man they had about a thousand metres of plimtons i think 6inch about an inch thick. I had to use a tungsten chisel and a small hammer ...tap tap tap... then a tap to the back and hey presto only another 99 to go before lunch. :yikes:

Some things you just never forget ay. :wheelchair:

G

Gazzer

Reminds me of a time when as a teenager in the school holidays, on a job with my old man they had about a thousand metres of plimtons i think 6inch about an inch thick. I had to use a tungsten chisel and a small hammer ...tap tap tap... then a tap to the back and hey presto only another 99 to go before lunch. :yikes:

Some things you just never forget ay. :wheelchair:

Yup, I remember those days well.

D

ducktape

Ok guys for those of you that were interested in the outcome, new tiles arrived this week and cut perfectly. I had a couple of the original tiles still here (won't return a split pack will they???) and there is a real difference the sound of the tiles when you tap them is different new ones have a 'ting' to them and the old ones a 'tong', make sense? the texture is also slightly different and the old ones feel slightly heavier. Anyways if I do hear back from the manufacturer what the issue is I'll post but they didn't argue much over replacing them...

cheers again for all the suggestions.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to porcelain tile cutting problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
porcelain tile cutting problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.