Discuss Porcelain tiles not sticking to plywood? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bill

Hi

I'm looking for some advice from the experts, as a DIY tiler who's done a few jobs. I've just laid 600x600mm polished porcelain tiles in my hallway. Floor is T&G chipboard and I've over boarded with 15mm exterior plywood, screw-fixed at 300mm centres and fixed tiles using BAL single part flexible adhesive. I sealed back and sides of plywood with BAL SBR bond (as recommended on BAL website). I was running low on adhesive towards the end if the job and added some more adhesive and water to the existing mixed adhesive I had left in the bucket (been in bucket for maybe 3 hours) and the tiles I've fixed using this adhesive are not sticking to the plywood.......is there a problem adding more powder adhesive and water to adhesive which has been mixed for 3 hours or so?

i'm worried that the other tiles that I've laid may not be properly stuck to the plywood? I've been careful not to walk in the tiles for 24 hours......is this long enough to leave them before I walk on them and grout them?

Anyone had problems fixing porcelain floor tiles to plywood using BAL single part flexible?

S

Stef

Dyslexia set in - I thought it was 'longforgottontiler'.
I've never remixed old adhesive, always use a measuring guide for water volume and have a clean bucket available for each and every mix.:lol:
Still surprises me that people continue to tile direct to a plywood substrate!

Well I'm assuming that it's longforgan!!!
Could well be long forgotten!!

O

Old Mod

It states you shouldn't add more water to a mix but I've spun my adhesive up & added a bit of water & never had a problem.
Bal spf is a very good adhesive, check the date on the bag incase it's out of date.
Longforgan, take it your just outside Dundee?
Had a few meals in the longforgan inn back in the day..
yeah but u don't do a mix on top do u Stef! U just don't do it, loosening up is one thing, a new mix is completely different. It's the same if u mix a new rapid mix on top of an empty bucket that u've not washed out first surely? Sets it off in no time cos the remains of the original mix activates the new one.

S

Stef

yeah but u don't do a mix on top do u Stef! U just don't do it, loosening up is one thing, a new mix is completely different. It's the same if u mix a new rapid mix on top of an empty bucket that u've not washed out first surely? Sets it off in no time cos the remains of the original mix activates the new one.

I've just read that again & saw he's mixed within a mix, no I use one mix & then make a fresh batch.
I don't clean out my bucket between mixes, the bucket gets scraped with my trowel & a scraper so there's very little left if any in the bucket.
The bucket might get washed at the end of the day or get knocked out the next morning!!

O

Old Mod

I've just read that again & saw he's mixed within a mix, no I use one mix & then make a fresh batch.
I don't clean out my bucket between mixes, the bucket gets scraped with my trowel & a scraper so there's very little left if any in the bucket.
The bucket might get washed at the end of the day or get knocked out the next morning!!
:rofl: sorry forgot u don't have time! Hehe

O

One Day

There was a time when adhesive would grab so hard onto ply that it would rip the ply to bits trying to take up the tiles. I doubt BAL have reduced the strength of their spf so I would have to wonder how clean and dust-free the ply was to start and how well mixed the adhesive was.
Hand mixing sometimes just doesn't do it well enough.
Personally I wouldn't use spf on wood. The water sits too long before the adhesive sets.

L

Lee garnham

Plywood isnt what it used to be.

Woodchip on a hallway floor? Could it be a floating floor? In which case there is more than likely too much movement. I personally wouldnt tile on one without my clients consent regardless of what products are on the market.
Failing that may there have been a bit to much action ontop of the floor soon after tiling. Ie heavy foot traffic or any further works. It takes a good few weeks for adhesive to get a good bite if there has been to much vibration or movement in that time they will just pop up. If neither of them sound likely then grab a bal rep out he could have the adhesive tested for you. I have found bal and there reps great to work with and helpful.

Reply to Porcelain tiles not sticking to plywood? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB