Discuss Porcelain wall tiles onto Exterior Ply?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gall.B

Thanks everyone - question answered. No plywood!!

Is there any benefit in the waterproof plasterboard available at B&Q, or if I'm going to tank it does it matter. Alternatively, could any of you guys ( I notice your locations) recommend a stockist of aquapanel or the like local enough to deliver to Cumbernauld.

I'd rather get it right than do it cheap...

Cosmo ceramics glasgow stock eveything you need p.m. for a third off

O

ozboz

No reasons not to use ply, providing the correct premium quality board and methods of securing it are followed, Mapiei and the structural engineer had no issues providing me with a spec for my last comtract, so if they are comfident in the use of ply i can see no reason to look beyond the use of this material as and when the need arises, I have used ply for going on 35 years, never had a call back, failure anything, walls , floors whatever,

O

ozboz

I am of the opinion 'if its not broke, don't fix it ', should the need arise to go with another substrate then I would , when I reached the shores of Australia over 20 years ago the Aussie's to my opinion made us look as though we were in the dark ages as far as tiling went, materials, power tools the lot. They had boards then similar to the ones that are being talked about now here,and I used them , no problem, but as I remember the this thread began by Sludd was a query about ply, I gave an answer,I have no problem with this method of fixing, Mapei has no problem, as far as the correct installation methods are used.

S

Scott

Funny i thought a forum was a place for discussion.

There are plenty of people who tile to ply, im one of them but only on floors. Its already been stated about the weight issues with ply. With the really poor quality far eastern ply that seems to delaminate very easily and is so light you can lift a sheet of 18mm with one hand. This isnt the same as the ply that we used to find in our timber merchants now everything is down to tight margins and high fuel prices the quality is very poor. Also a sheet of good quality 18mm marine ply will set you back in excess of £50 for an 8x4. Making backer boards a better waterresistant choice.

On that basis i wouldnt advising someone to tile to ply where they may go and buy a cheap sheet from a diy shed and it fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ozboz

A Company I sub to have recently run into mega problems, still owed around 350.000 by a multi national retail firm , all because the tiling mob they used to do the work succumbed to the call of new technology, ie, 'modern addy ' , had they applied the 'not broke dont fix' mind set,maybe a lot of grief would have been averted. The method that should have been implemented I observed in ancient buildings in Rome ?, amazing. I did a sandstone job, fixed 400 X 400 bedded in s&c to a line, one by one, a load of greek fixers used the same stone, fixed it with adhesive, same conditions, same builder, same everything on a property about 1/2 a mile away , they scoffed at the old timer labouring away down the road, two months later they were back replacing about 70% of their project, very efficient,so much better these modern adhesives ?, yes modern 'addy' does have its benifits, but it also has limitations and is not the be and end all of the tiling trade. I have witnessed so many failures over the last 35 years due to 'modern technology', wonder adhesives,some have been massive failures that have sent companies into bankruptcy , from the manufacture of tiles, adhesives etc ,and recently, now de coupling membranes have come under the hammer , had some of the slower out dated methods been applied the failures more than likely would have been eliminated. Similar projects done the old way are still there as testimony to the time tested methods. It could be said that the problems lie with the fixing. very true in some cases, but not always, so to be honest, I look at each project, and the best way to eliminate potential problems, if there is no modern equivelant way to complete the job , take the 'old ' way, so Im of a mind that if its not broke dont fix it, if alternative means taking a step backwards, then so be it.

Reply to Porcelain wall tiles onto Exterior Ply?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Porcelain wall tiles onto Exterior Ply??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.