Discuss porcelian tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RockCeramics

A friend of a friend had some porcelain tiles in a kitchen fitted.
20m2 and was quoted £55 m2 to fix only.(not sure at the moment if mats were supplied)
In my eyes i feel that was Extremely high.
Any feed back would be appreciated.
Job has already been completed.
Been asked to have a look at the job as the finishing is pretty bad/dusty, marks visable on tiles,and greasy.

their in a state as they feel they been had.
Cheers

R

RockCeramics

Thanks Stewart
Job was in essex, Unfortunately i was told tiler was recommended by the builder,Like most people they seem to just get told things and believe that without assessing their records,prev jobs, Mad in my eyes if your willing to pay out money i`d def do checking.
Tiler has been called back several times bad grouting ect i only found out late last night over phone so going to view at some point today or friday.

R

RockCeramics

Ok final had a chance to view the concerned floor last night.

Photos not that good sorry.

Went there under the impression just to look at thefinishing of the floor, so was not prepared for what I was about to see.

The tile was purchased from Tile Giant, porcelain"Manilla Black Wall/Floor tile /Glazed.300x600

I was told that he laid it in 1 day then grouted the next.You can see that he has not cleaned the tile to remove all grout residues; the finished job has been left dirty which leaves the finish grubby and tile affectlooks matt finish not satin as described. I have advised them that the completearea needs to be stripped and cleaned to remove all residue.

I also believe thatthe boarding put down was 9mm.

Floor also is not level as you walk in the front door you directly look through to the kitchen and you can visually see a belly in the floor.There’s a lot of lippage as well, the bloke was called back to rectify the issuesthey was told by the ice cream man (as that was his job before.) that the grout had sunk? “I would put it” if that was true, the ice cream man had mixed the grout TOO WET. But the tiles are in fact not level fromdoor way to middle of kitchen floor the belly is 6mm lower than level finishvertically and horizontal. Ice cream mans fault was he didn’t check levels offloor base and just tiled, He made no attempt to apply any levelling compoundto correct the problem.

Joints are about 6/7mm wide which also makes the finish terrible.Where he has re-grouted some areas grout match is different.

Where an extension was built to the back of kitchen theyfitted a dividing expansion trim and the finish height is 3mm to high, whch hasgiven a peck point to the floor.

They want to rectifythe belly issue

I have suggested that the only way to improve this is bycutting along the joints to the area 1.5m2

Remove the tiles clean floor base apply levelling compoundto belly in floor if needed then re tile if I can save original tiles and cleanto keep batch the same I will ( they have 3 spare tiles)

And strip complete floor.

Would like to do this a favour but I have put a price forthis of £140 labour and mats.

If they can get a claim back then i would price high whatdo you think guys.

Attachments

• P5130592.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 42
  • P5130590.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P5130587.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P5130586.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to porcelian tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
porcelian tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.