UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss powers shower/bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kent tiler

im tiling round a bath soon and theres a power shower too!
i called CTD and thay said to use
BAL WHITE STAR ready mixed or powder
and WEBER JOINT PRO
and as im tiling over new plaster to use BAL SBR BOND
im using 200mm/200mm bumpy whites
2mm spacers =£84.47p

i then called TOPPS TILES
got the tiles cheaper :smilewinkgrin:
the guy said to use
BAL GREEN STAR ready mixed
BAL MICRO FLEX GROUT
BAL SBR BOND =£74.62p

im not worried about the cost just trying too get an understanding on what gear to use
most the time i use powdered gear but as its a small job i dont mind using ready mixed gear this once
BUT why dont you guys not like using ready mixed addy????
the guy i spoke to said he will do me topps tile addy or bal green star powder cheap
BUT WHAT WITH THE BIG WHO HARRR about bagged or bucket gear:whistling: i really dont know

PPS what gear do i use then peeps green star/white star

B

bugs183

Kiltys right Kent.
Green Star is an awful adhesive, there really isn't anything good to say about it. If it was free it would just be in the way in my garage, i'd never use it!!
White Star is as good a ready mix adhesive as you can get, never had a problem, i wouldn't even think about the £10.00 difference, and i would use this.

But, if your tiling around a bath there are a few factors that would need to be looked at. The tiles here with a power shower are going to take some stick, especially against where the tiles meet the bath.
Has the plumber put the bath in properly, 50% don't and it will move. It really should be mounted on batons screwed to the wall, no amount of silicon without these batons will stop a bath flexing.
The walls are plaster so really it needs to be tanked, this doesn't take long, it doesn't add much cost, but it gives the customer a much better job, and you piece of mind.
Secure the bath, tank the walls and tape the internal joints and especially tape the joint between the bath and the wall.
Cement based adhesive, is now becoming popular for several reasons. It forms a much stronger between the wall and the tile. It is far more resistant to water, and also it works out cheaper than tubbed adhesives.
In this case the tiles aren't too big so weight isn't an issue here, but with large format tiles, tubbed adhesive just isn't up to the job. It isn't strong enough and due to how it dries, (the moisture in tubbed adhesive is drawn into the tile and the wall, bagged uses a chemical reaction, so any moisture is used during this, so it dries everywhere).
So a tanked shower suits a tubbed adhesive even less!!!

K

kent tiler

i really dont want to tank it mate just prime and tile will do nice.
as for powdered gear then what shall i use then and grout?? cheaper side of things is better for me in the long run.
as for topps gear i dont want to get my pants pulled down on the price
what are most peeps paying for it at the mo?
ill use powered gear i think as you all are saying the same thing about green star :thumbsdown:

Reply to powers shower/bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please. I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, Absolute newby here in terms of tiling. Having been doing lots of research and I think I`m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.