Discuss Preparing bathroom floor for marble tiles - not convinced of plumber's solution in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

achillea

Hi

I'm currently having my bathroom refitted. The old floorboards are very creaky, there is some movement and the boards are all in small pieces. I am having UFH and 50 x 50cm marble tiles fitted. My plumber is intending to put 9mm ply onto the floorboards then lay UFH directly onto of that. I'm no expert but I'm worried that the 9mm won't sort out the movement which will then lead to my rather expensive marble tiles cracking at some point.

Do you think his solution is going to be ok or should we take up the old boards and fit something like 25mm ply or just put a thicker ply onto the existing boards? The plumber also says we don't need tile backer boards as the ply will be sufficient.

He is also not planning on tanking or lining the walls for tiling (around the shower bath) - walls are being skimmed then he is planning on tiling straight onto that (6 inch ceramic tiles from Original Style).

Any advice grateful received!

A

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
in reply to your plumber who seems to be doing the tiling my advice is dont let him near it full stop

totally wrong prep ,i would advise you lift all the boards up if they are in bad condition and over board floor with a much thicker ply then finish with a backer board that will accomodate your ufh

also if you want it tanked then that would no doubt be an extra cost in the job but speak to who ever is doing the job about it but yes is the way forward

have you not got a tiler lined up?

A

achillea

Thanks - that all sounds sensible. Thanfully the plumber isn't doing the tiling - just preparing the floor. His tiler mate is 30 years in the business but I would have thought he would have given him a better steer on how to do the floor. I think this guy is good at general plumbing but not experienced in complete refits. I shall insist on thicker ply and backer boards! ta.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
If the tiler has told him to prep the floor like that, I would be worried as to whether your marble will be fixed to the standard you require. You don't have to have the tiler the plumber recommends! If it's not too late it would be worth getting an alternative quote along with what floor prep and procedures would be carried out.

However, if you do carry on with these guys don't forget to ask questions during the install as to why they are doing this and that and why that adhesive etc. You can always ask the questions and be guaranteed the correct answers from start to finish!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Preparing bathroom floor for marble tiles - not convinced of plumber's solution in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB