Discuss Preparing substrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

darkknight

Hi,

I'm going to start preparing the substrate for my kitchen and my bathroom so that I can tile on it. The current floor is made of floorboards (not chipboard) and is pretty deflection free.

The issue that I have is that there are vinyl tiles stuck to the floor in the kitchen and half of the bathroom. These tiles are stuck down pretty well on some luau wood (spelling) and I am reluctant to take them off as the house ia fairly old and I am worried about the tiles containing asbestos. It is because of this reason I don't want to take them off and would prefer to tile on top of them.

My question is, would it be ok for me to screw some wbp ply down to the existing floor and then place some hardi backer board on top of this? Would tiling on this arrangement be fine?

Ps. The kitchen floor tiles are porcelain and the rest are ceramic.

Many thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Preparing substrate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading! I have an application for 1"...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi I’ve tiled my bathroom floor on top of hardie cement board. I have left expansion gaps all...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB