UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Preparing wood floors for tiling - help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Ollylot

Hi all - new to the site, and would really appreciate some basic advice on how to prep a wood floor for tiling. Against my (better?) judgement, my wife has stripped back our hall and kitchen to the floorboards, sanded and dyed them black.
Now want to tile instead. The floor seems pretty level and solid (it was once covered with carefully screwed down ply sheeting on top of which was lino.
What steps should I take to prep the floor?
Sorry if this seems like a silly basic question, but I honestly can't find a straightforward answer!!

D

Drastik Lee

I suggest using a flexible adhesive something along the lines of Bal flexible (Mind if you get the rapidset though its sets pretty fast) or i know the lads on here like mapei but its personal preference really it would also be a good idea to leave a 1/8 inch gap between each board then putting your tape over the joints before skimming the top with some adhesive (making sure its flat) and yes adhesive the floor boards directly assuming theres no major gaps between them and the boards are free of dirt and then screw down your backer board every 6 inches or so ....should be good to go !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Preparing wood floors for tiling - help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm a DIYer so apologies if I get the terminology wrong etc I've started work remodeling...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.