UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Price Base Rate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Do you think it's worth us trying to create and adhere to a base-rate for our/your work?

What I'd be hoping to acheive with this is a base-rate for each region or area or even the whole country. So hopefully we'd be able to increase this low-pricing a little?

Perhaps some of us that are working for a cheap per meter price need to refuse that work at that price? And get details of the tilers who won the job for pricing so low? I'd certainly give them a bell and a bolloxing at the least.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree? Perhaps some of you NEED to be pricing so low to get work to ensure you're working?!?!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'm about to compile a list of ways I'd be making money as a tiler - and I'd be trying to not get the trowels out as often as most do.

Some of the ways that are obvious include:

1. Perhaps offering installation of electric underfloor heating - you make on the materials and the job.
  2. Try to make a % on the adhesives, grout and tiles AT THE LEAST. Personally my customers didn't get a discount - they paid the list price - I made ALL the profit between that and trade - and then some (As I sold the shop the underfloor heating in most cases too)
  3. Never leave the spare tiles with the customer - take them with you - label them - stick them in the garage - leave the customer with 10 cards randomly placed around the room (behind radiators and things) and tell them they're there - though give them some too - when they have problems they'll call you! Even if it's a tile replacement due to a chip - you may find going there will get you more work elsewhere in the home - or from their friends - or as the van has now been in the street on two occasions the neighbours may start to like you too
  4. My list goes on - I would have a very unique (or I'd think it was) setup and I think that's key - DON'T follow the 'trend' and do your own thing.

S

Spud

Do you think it's worth us trying to create and adhere to a base-rate for our/your work?

What I'd be hoping to acheive with this is a base-rate for each region or area or even the whole country. So hopefully we'd be able to increase this low-pricing a little?

Perhaps some of us that are working for a cheap per meter price need to refuse that work at that price? And get details of the tilers who won the job for pricing so low? I'd certainly give them a bell and a bolloxing at the least.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree? Perhaps some of you NEED to be pricing so low to get work to ensure you're working?!?!
totally against price fixing leave it to the free market it will sort out the wood from the trees

D

davy_G

This interests me. There is a great difference in prices tilers charge on this board. Alot of it is area dependant. I would get laughed at trying to charge £40 a m2 in Belfast, yet its common in Southern England to get that and more. I can make money at £15 a m2 yet its not where i want to be but it keeps me working and recommended by customers. Every other trade is suffering here and when im in my tile shops they are constantly saying their other tilers are regularly phoning looking for work.
How can prices be fixed? Unless everyone in an area agrees is it a waste of time trying? And what would you do if your diary was empty and the rent was due?

I like an area minimum price in theory but i struggle with the details.

D

Daz

Nice idea, but totally unworkable.

When I first started I priced a few jobs low to ensure that I was earning.

As my workload increased I priced more in line with a day rate and how long it would take me.

My speed is significantly better than 6 months ago and I still price against a day rate and how long I estimate it will take me, (Less days so less cost to my customers).

When I get as fast as Sir Ramic, Deanotile and many of the hardcore guys I will, un-doubtedly, price per square metre as I know that I will be price aggressive but able to earn good money.

I'm always going to look for a competitive advantage over the other tilers in my area, it's business!!

Anyway, the last thing we need is "Of-tile" regulating our business, what with multiple government agencies trying to examine our earnings already!!

C

cornish_crofter

I tend to get the jobs on providing the whole package as opposed to just a base rate.

Sometimes I can see my way to doing a whole wall in hours, whereas to do a small area can take much longer if there are boxed in features and loads of cutting.

Hence I tend to look at the whole job and cost it on a job by job basis.

I know I see talk of £ per M sqd here but my jobs don't always work out like that.

D

doug boardley

price fixing not for me! there are god and bad, fast and slow tiler, you set your own price depending on what category you fall into. If I was a customer I'd willingly pay more for a slow, good tiler than a bad, fast one! Obviously we all aspire to be good fast tilers!Most of my work is site based so I tend to give an "all in" price,that way I and site agent know what the cost will be.

D

david campbell

:beatdeadhorse5:this would never work! usually i would charge say £20-£25 m2 depending on size,akwardness etc... yet lately i have priced several larger jobs at say £18m2 because i know i would still make a decent wage from it only to be phoned by the client and told they have received a quote of almost near have of mine,either people are working for next to nothing or customers are totally brass necking it!! (1/2 of £18m2) you dont need to be einstien to work out there aint much to be made after material costs

D

diamondtiling

As with cornish every job should be priced on it's merits, A 1000m2 would'nt be priced £30m2 for ceramic, where as on domestic you may get that kind of money.

Depending on your tile

I completey disagree with these comments, 5 years ago I was doing L.A.Fitness, Fitness First and Total fitness clubs, the minimum was 30 per mtr, falls in shower areas were day rate, mosaics were £13 per linear mtr, each club took 2 months, The overall meterage was big but they used me because of the end finish, I reject this argument about having to pay the rent, everytime you sell yourself low then you can only ever go lower, I would rather have fewer jobs on my books if they were all money minded, there are companies out there that check up on your previous work and award their projects on the basis that it will be done properly to the BS standards, they want to hand a project over to the customer knowing that it has been carried out to the highest possible degree. I have worked in Ireland, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Scotland, Spain, I have been from Brighton to Aberdeen and that work comes from recommendation, Sell yourself on the cheap..................?????????????? Stay Cheap!!!!

:thumbsdown:

O

obobsmith

Lads - I think the market has changed since this thread was posted in July last year.
There are pricing guides that indicate to quantity surveyors the going rate for building works and in the domestic market the customer often gets 2/3 estimates and make their choice on factors that don't always include the price.

Timeless John.

I agree price is not always the main factor. I quoted for a job last week ( domestic ) I was honest with the lady told her I was just setting up , that I was'nt the fastest but that I would do one floor for her ( four rooms in all) and If it wasn't up to spec I would not get the rest of the floors.

Having spent time talking to her and telling her how I would approach the job, she turned round to me and told me not to undercharge that she knew the going rate, she liked me and that she thought I would more than likely be getting the job.

Start monday 27m, biggest to date chuffed/terrified, walked into a second quote 5m splashback got it, both at the rates I thought no undercutting.

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Reply to Price Base Rate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tiling-rates-per-square-meter-per-day-how-much-do-tilers-cha...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.