Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Pricing on a largish job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peegee tips

Hi Folks,
Was after a bit of advice with what I should look out for & consider when pricing a fairly big job.
Its 215m/2 walls & 75 m/2 floors in 2 office blocks on 3 floors.( tiles yet unknown, maybe 300x250 or similar on walls , slightly bigger on floors )
How do you go about working out a reasonable rate taking into consideration for fixing & grouting?
I can quote on just fixing or fixing & mats supply
The materials I can work out pretty easily, but its the price v time thing.
Im based in east anglia.
Any comments welcome.
Cheers.

If it's ceramics on the walls, I assume it will be, then with that meterage I would go in at between £20 -£25 m2 + mats, porc on the floor, £25 - £30 + mats, difficult to know because of area and customer, but that would be my ballpark figure.

EDIT: you say price v time ??? if the walls and floors are ready then you alone know your speed, if your fast and need the work you could drop the rates a tad and make up on the meterage per day, if your a slower fixer then............................ hard to call, depends as I say on customer and the program.

Last edited:
P

peegee tips

I'm 90% sure they are going to go with ceramics on the walls & porc for the floors.
They'll be 2 of us working together.
Would you normally go on a meterage rate for jobs like these?
It's my first attempt at quoting on a job of this scale & I dont want to be miles out. Can you generally charge a bit more on jobs like this......seeing as its for a building revamp & not a domestic customer?
Want to be sure that i'm neither a bargain or extortionate :thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

£25 to £30 per metre plus materials. If you have to carry everything up stairs to get the to job then allow for this, thats a lot of carrying, maybe factor a labourer in to do all the heavy stuff. Do you have to mix outside? do you have water readily available and can you get your wet cutter upstairs? Is there a skip or do you have to provide one.
Have they not given you a specification?

:thumbsup:

P

peegee tips

I went to see the guy a few weeks ago, but I think he had got a bit over excited & called me before things were anywhere near ready & material choices had been made. He showed me a few tile samples. I'm going back next week to finalise all details in full before submitting any prices.

Its pretty straight forward stuff.

Yep, cutter & mixing can all be done inside, mud on the carpets wont be an issue. Good point about waste, i'll have to check that out, I think they supply the skip, but will check.

What sort of payment plan would you normally negotiate?
20% upfront & then a midway payment, followed by a final payment??

What sort of payment plan would you normally negotiate?
20% upfront & then a midway payment, followed by a final payment??

I would maybe ask for a payment for materials on site, but a job that size shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for 2 fixers so an interim payment seems unlikely, what time scale did you have in mind ?

P

Pebbs

Peegee is this with a main contractor, or with the client direct? the reason I ask is that most main contractors wont forward any money up front these days, so as Alan pointed out as soon as the materials are on site, your first application for payment should be issued.
Normally you have to give them a m2 as the pqs will be looking at all the costs. However, I always put this clause into the quote, to cover ourselves:-

This quotation is based upon the assumption that all works contained herein are carried out within normal working hours and are of a continuous working pattern. Should however this not be the case, then our standard day work rates apply, for non-productive works.

Hope this helps

Pebbs

P

peegee tips

I'm dealing with the guy who is running the project....he's assured me that we will have full access to the areas we'll be working on with no-one to hassle us.

As for the time scale, I'm a bit unsure, 2weeks seems a bit tight to me......can you do an average of 15mtrs a day for walls & floors inc grouting, mixing, cutting & cleaning?

£25 m/2 sounds reasonable to me plus mats.
A few floors need leveling & one screeding too.

Reply to Pricing on a largish job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Pricing on a largish job.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.