Discuss Primers vs PVA/Other in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ok we all know about this topic....but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating trying to advise clients of traders (mostly eastern European) who come in asking for PVA, these guys I can generally handle up until the other day when I could have lost my rag and burst his lips for how rude he was to me.

So this guy basically blasted out in the shop that he had not had a failed tile in 15 years and had used PVA on everything. Surely this can not be down to luck.

How is he getting away with it? Is the science really correct? Its what they used to use years ago ? I felt so belittled, to the point I would have happily sent him 3 feet up in the air and then some...however being the English gentleman I didn't.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
What about doing a primer & pva test..................a bit like the adhesive & diamond drill bit tests on here. Only last week an Eastern European builder asked me what was that stuff I used instead of PVA. I told him it was primer and he said that he had several tiles come away from the floor because they were not bonded. He was going to reset them, but he was going to use primer this time. He was not rude, so hopefully he will tell the rest of the Europeans to use the correct stuff.

The same argument applies to people using 3mm ply, or not screwing down Hardiebacker, or using tubbed addy on floor tiles, or grouting 20mins after laying tiles. They get away with it because they are on building sites or they are only contactable via mobile (which gets ditched after 6 months!).

This was in no way a thread about the quality of their work as I have worked with many ee tilers who were very very fast and their quality was top notch.
Most southerners down my neck of the woods are miserable so and so's and the minority of the ee are down right ignorant, maybe that comes with the language barriers. Just a thread about their love for pva!

B

bugs183

I won't get involved in the other stuff here!
Its's just one of those things if you mention primer everyone thinks 'PVA' or even worse 'We''l just paint it'.
Just like people now can't think past Plywood.
It's just old habits.
Also there is no info on any of the suppliers walls saying that using PVA based products are a no no. If no one tells them any different most guys will just carry on using what they know. You can gaurentee someone stuck in their ways won't go on a forum as 'i know what i'm doing, i've been doing it for years'
More work for us when it goes wrong!!!! So i don't worry one bit about it.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Well being an old-timer, & a plasterer i used PVA uni-bond for years and never had a problem with it, but thanks to this forum i 'am enlightened Now the passed 3-4 years ,and at every opportunity i tell fellow tradesmen of the pitfalls ,its still used a lot in plastering and is fine as a cheap bonding agent for work that is not going to come into contact with moister /water, but personally i would never use it now, in any situation :thumbsup:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I was in Topps earlier picking up some adhesive and a fellow trader came in to pick up his materials for his next job. A stack of 600 x 300 porcelain and tubbs of greenstar. I said nothing but I couldn't believe what I saw. I then waited until he left and then did what everyone else would, I asked if thats what he normally buy's for them tiles. Oh yea he uses that stuff for everything, floor, wall, porcelain, ceramic, stone, mosaic there is no need for anything else in his opinion. Go the tradesmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

W

White Room

I was in Topps earlier picking up some adhesive and a fellow trader came in to pick up his materials for his next job. A stack of 600 x 300 porcelain and tubbs of greenstar. I said nothing but I couldn't believe what I saw. I then waited until he left and then did what everyone else would, I asked if thats what he normally buy's for them tiles. Oh yea he uses that stuff for everything, floor, wall, porcelain, ceramic, stone, mosaic there is no need for anything else in his opinion. Go the tradesmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

And I bet he'd say "I've never had a problem" as the saying goes:dunce:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
To make it worse, he was in a nice new van, lovely signwriting and they said he buys loads of gear and he is always busy. And yes whitebeam i agree he would say that. So if anyone ever needs some advice or a hand give him a call his details are ####### ####### tiling tel no ##### ######. :yikes:

S

steveboy

In all the time I've been tiling I have always used BAL primer with no problems.

I do remember when I was in picking up my materials a good while back, a guy came in asking if they sold PVA, every1 just looked at him & some1 said you can't use that mate. Tried to explain why & he just said the same thing.... I've been using it for years & it works.

Aye right mate.

So of to B&Q he went...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Primers vs PVA/Other in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

What a morning. I turned up at saw this (below). Just a bonding coat with a few undulations...
Replies
Views
Longfold Tiling
L
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
D
I got talking to my mate the other day who works for tilecraft in Paisley and he told me that...
Replies
Views
J Sid
J
J
Hi all, Just had the bathroom floor tiled - well almost , the builder walked off after a...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
G
Hello all, I'm a complete newbie, and I really dont know much about tiling. Today I had my...
Replies
Views
jSPENCEINC
J

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB