Discuss problem on quartz tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

christi

Hi everyone dont know if anyone can help me,
I have lovely Quartz black polished sparkly tiles laid in my kitchen,
and 2 of them have now got an abrasion about 1cm long where the washing machine got dragged across them:mad2:,

I was wondering if there is like a high gloss polish type sealer which i could just wipe in the area to take the dullness off the abrasion, and the sealer would stick to the abrasion and wipe off the rest of the tile?,

then I dont think it would show as when the tile is wet cant be seen.

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks chris

D

diamondtiling

Almost everybody who sees them loves them, because they really tend to look good. They are easy to maintain. And they are rather durable. Obviously we are talking about quartz tiles, which we are seeing more and more people opting for, especially for their kitchen countertop tiling and similar applications.

Now while many people adore and love the said quartz tiles, one thing that never ceases to baffle them is with regard to how they are made. It is easy to empathize with this bewilderment, especially when you take into consideration the way quartz occurs in nature (in cluster, rather than in block form). What this natural presentation of quartz means is that, obviously, tiles can't be directly etched from it. A more involving process has to be initiated; to finally come up with the greatly alluring quartz tiles.

As it turns out, the process via which the quart tile is made starts with collection of the quartz. This step is not that hard, seeing that quartz is one of the most abundant minerals in the world. Getting a hold of it, then, shouldn't present too much of a problem; thought it is essential that the chosen sites for quartz harvesting be ones where the quartz that is present is of the pure form.

Once the quartz that is to be used for making tiles has been harvested, the next step in the process involves grinding it. There are specialized machines for this. Quartz naturally presents in the form of already considerably fine crystals, which means that the grinding process employed here is one that involves ‘ulta-refinement.'

After the quartz has been ground, the next step in the process that leads to the production of quartz tiles is to direct the now refined quartz into molds. Naturally, these molds need to be ones that look exactly like the desired tiles; keeping in mind that it is at this stage that the desired tiles are shaped up.

Of course, just filling the molds with quartz powder won't give you a tile! The individual quartz particles, at this stage are too loose – each is on its own. What is required is a bonding medium, and that usually comes in the form of resin. It is resin that is responsible for joining the individual quartz particles, to come up with a real quartz tile.

The quartz tile that we now have is one that is rather plain, following the simple grinding, molding and joining of quartz particles with a medium like resin. What is next required is to give them color; seeing that one of the things that people tend to think very seriously about when purchasing tiles is color. So pigments are added to the quart particles that have been bonded using resin, ideally at the stage when they are still on the mold (during the bonding stage). The reason for doing this is so that the pigment that is applied ends up being a natural part of the resultant tile.

It is after these steps, then, that we end up with those highly alluring quartz tiles we so much love.

:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

It needs to be polished out of the surface and buying the materials and knowing how to use them will outweigh the cost of getting a professional in.

Alpha Ceramica EX Wet Resin Polishing Pads. Stone Tools. Contractors Direct.

The link above shows what is needed, can you not ask in a local tile shop for a stone fitter?
If not you will find someone on this forum that will be able to help you.

Reply to problem on quartz tile in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
I hope you guys can help me. IN my own home, I have screeded in a front path slab because the...
Replies
Views
I'm just wondering if my glazed ceramic tiles need sealing before I grout them... I applied...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
problem on quartz tile
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.