Discuss Problem with wet room floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cruddles

1st post and it's long winded so bare with me.
Problem with a wet room shower approx 80cm x 160 cm. Tiles in central area started flexing and grout breaking up. I removed tiles, adhesive & tanking membrane. I've discovered that floor is 18mm ply directly onto joists which are 40-45cm apart (across the room). I assume that there is enough flex in this to cause the tile lift etc.
I cannot access the trap so it's therefore not possible to simply add another layer of ply or wedi board etc as I cannot bring the level of the trap up.
The solution that I am thinking of is to cut out the plasterboard ceiling below and put install noggins to support the floor. I have other plastering work on the agenda so plaster patching isn't a big deal.
3 questions - 1) is there an easier option that I am not seeing? 2) Will I have to dismantle the trap to re-tank under it's rim to get a good seal? 3) Can you recommend a good flexible adhesive for this situation?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cruddles

C

cruddles

Thanks for the responses, I'll answer in some kind of order.
  1. We moved into the house a year ago and the wetroom was already built. I am trying to repair the floor after the tiles started moving. I'm discovering how it was built as I go along.
  2. 18mm ply is the actual shower base.
  3. Don't really want to start again as the walls are fine and intact.
  4. Tiles were 30cmx30cm. Smaller tiles would make sense. Generally, the tiles were well fixed, there didn't appear to be a problem with the adhesive. There are no joins in the ply.
Cruddles

Reply to Problem with wet room floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Problem with wet room floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.