Guest viewing is limited

Discuss problems sealing slate!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PHG Dave

A topical sealer is a surface coating similar in some ways to a varnish. I believe the Larson product you used is one of these types of sealers, in this case a water based acrylic.
Always willing to be proved wrong but i would not expect the reseal and buff route to work other than possibly by several coat's to cover up the brush marks you described - Acrylics, once cured will not soften with additional coats
I have used LTP's Grimex previously to remove their Ironwax sealants(another acrylic sealer), might be worth a try

R

ruairi mac

Hi guys.

Glad to say i eventually got this issue sorted.

I asked a local tiler who has a lot more experience than me to come and take a look at it with me. He took one look at it and was able to name the sealer i had used with out me telling him.

His solution was to use cellulose thinners to remove sealer, (I had my doubts but it worked a treat) it took a bit of time to do but brought the slate back to how it was before the fiasco. I then resealed with Lithofin slate sealer and i have to say its a much superior product. It looked very, very glossy when applied but dried out with a nice finish.

Customer was delighted with the end result, it took a few extra hours labour and a few extra quid out of my own pocket but sure it's all about keeping the customer happy!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied, it was much appreciated. I have a few photos and i'll get them up when i get a bit more time.

Thanks again

Ruairi

Reply to problems sealing slate!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
Pro help please... i have a large outside area 6msq approximately...ive just had a concrete...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
problems sealing slate!!!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.