UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Problems with limestone tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brauntonboy

I want the trade’s advice as to what I should do?
It’s a bit long but it is condensed

My wife
and I had been looking for kitchen tiles for our new extension and saw just what we wanted at the Grand Design exhibition in April so we bought what we needed, which was 600x400 textured (anti-slip) natural limestone, colour ranging from a pale cream to a slate blue with iron oxide and ammonite. The whole point of an anti-slip surface is because my wife has MS and has balance issues. Also we wanted the tiles to reflect their makeup and have a matt natural look.
After meetings and lots of discussions with various tilers we engaged a professional tiler to lay etc, 36mtrs of floor tiles in the kitchen area of a new build.
The tiler had a good look at the tiles and throughout our pre laying discussions he gave us a strong impression he knew exactly what he was doing.

The laying process was ok and we were satisfied with the result
apart from him not mixing up the different colours etc in a way that would enhance the floor, but not too big a problem and we could live with it.

The problem started after he had sealed the floor
for the second time and then grouted part of it, at which point he had, for family reasons, quite reasonably, to come off the job for a while.
When he returned 3 days later he took up where he had left off and finished grouting the floor however it left grout smears where he had smoothed over with a float especially at the tile joints.
There was a lot of discussion regarding this problem as now the floor looked horrible, and he went away to consult his supplier and returned and proceeded to wash the floor over a few times in an attempt to clean off the excess grout, this was not successful and he was obviously panicking because he did not seem to know how to cure the problem. He then proceeded to set about the area effected i.e. where the tiles join, with a power sanding tool which he said would help in getting the excess grout off the tiles. I did say at one stage that I thought using the power sander would change the texture and he just pulled a face as if to say, what do you know.

After much more effort and 2 more days of trying the floor did look a bit better and I agreed that he seal the floor again to try to achieve a positive result.
This was done on Friday 12[SUP]th[/SUP] after which he left my premises and now the areas that he did the sanding are smooth and the rest is textured and when viewed the floor is patchy with matt and shining areas which looks awful.
As a point to note he has admitted that he probably left the grout on the floor for 5
mins too long before cleaning it off!!
Enough of the diatribe now the question.
What should he have done?

What should I have done?
What can I do now to achieve a solution?

Thanks for your interest.
Lloyd

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Sounds like the tiler wasn't as experienced with natural stone as he'd like to think. Excess grout residue can normally be sorted but using a sander in it was a massive no no....... Would be helpful if you could post a few pics on here as Ray suggested but to be honest I think the damage will be irreparable
i do know one stone fixer who can renew a flamed or hammerd finnish on floors no probs but we need some pics

B

Brauntonboy

Thanks again guys, I hopefully have attached 4 pics to give you an idea of the prob, the first 3 are the sanding/smoothing issue and the last is the marks left by his float that have not been taken off and then sealed over. Its the one taken from above.

Comments?

Cheers Lloyd TILE PROBS (3).jpg TILE PROBS (6).jpg TILE PROBS (2).jpg TILE PROBS (1).jpg

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Lloyd, this looks like 'picture framing' to me. Google 'picture framing tiles' and you will see what this means. As Ray says, a mechanical (rotary) machine will have to re-grind the whole floor to give it a more uniform texture. Diamond pads are used and the whole process is expensive. Did the original tiler leave the sealer overnight to dry? As he as said, it looks like he left the grout washing process a bit too long. The floor does actually look lovely and level with nice crisp grout lines. Good luck. Cheers Sean

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Problems with limestone tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.