UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Professional?..............or not. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lukeb

Just wonder what makes professional tiler......Professional????????????????????

Is it number of completed jobs or maybe years spend in the trade or something else.

Have seen work done by ``professional``today, spoke with the bloke he said "I`m doing this for over 25 years.........done miles of tiling.....blablabla." wanted to reply "and still dodnt know how to tile"as work was HORRENDOUS.:yikes:The only reason why I keep my mouth shut is the respect for someone older than me.

RESPECT FOR PROPER TILERS:thumbsup:

M

Mike Mike

Professional just means doing something for money. Getting paid to do it. It has no bearing on the quality of the work or the ability of the worker.

Here, to call yourself a Tiler you need to have done 6,000 hours of hands on tiling.

You will not be recognised as a Tiler by the Faket (union) if you have not completed 6,000 hours, instead you will be a lärling (apprentice).

Interestingly, an apprentice is paid to work, so is therefore a professional.

Maybe "professional Tiler" is the wrong terminology....

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Professional just means doing something for money. Getting paid to do it. It has no bearing on the quality of the work or the ability of the worker.

Here, to call yourself a Tiler you need to have done 6,000 hours of hands on tiling.

You will not be recognised as a Tiler by the Faket (union) if you have not completed 6,000 hours, instead you will be a lärling (apprentice).

Interestingly, an apprentice is paid to work, so is therefore a professional.

Maybe "professional Tiler" is the wrong terminology....

:lol: Mike, I feel like I have done 6,000 years of it:lol:

H

hillhead

This is why people like me (a punter) find forums like this so fantastic. I was able to find a "trusted" tiler, i.e. not just someone with a fancy website but someone who knew what they were talking about and took pride in their work. Without this forum I would have been stuck with yellow pages roulette!:yikes:

Thank you Orla, it was a pleasure for me to work for you and complete that lovely house.
There is too many so called pro tilers about who have no finishing skill or layout etc.
But after one/two hours of work anyone should see if the tiler is worth his corn.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Thank you Orla, it was a pleasure for me to work for you and complete that lovely house.
There is too many so called pro tilers about who have no finishing skill or layout etc.
But after one/two hours of work anyone should see if the tiler is worth his corn.

As Hillhead says its not just about fixing the tiles to the wall or floor. Professionalism starts from the moment you walk through the customers door, do you take your shoes off or use shoe covers? Or do you just walk straight over their beige carpet? Get a feel of what the customer is trying acheive. Your advice at this point is crucial, it builds confidence between the customer and you. If you say you will have the quote to the customer within 3 days, make sure it is. I like to sit down with the customer once they have decided on the tiles, decided on orientation, shown them where the cuts will be before I even fix a tile to wall. Then it's a case of grout colours, do some samples, I carry a case with grout samples in for the customer to look at. At the end of each day I ask them to look at the work that has been carried out that day and make sure that they are happy with whats been done. Its easier to rectify/change at that point than when its completed. When the job is completed there is nothing more satisfying than a customer saying its better than I thought it would be.

Oh and like Doug says make sure you can tile and are paid for it.

G

Gazzer

According to Wikipedia

"
[h=3]Definition[/h] The main criteria for professional include the following:

1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[SUP][6][/SUP]
  2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[SUP][7][/SUP]
  3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
  4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
  5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
  6. Participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavour often engaged in by amateurs b : having a particular profession as a permanent career c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return[SUP][6][/SUP]
  7. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
  8. A professional is an expert who is master in a specific field.
[h=3][edit] Trades[/h] In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, occupations such as skilled construction and maintenance work are more generally thought of as trades or crafts. The completion of an apprenticeship is generally associated with skilled labor or trades such as carpenter, electrician, mason, painter, plumber and other similar occupations. A related distinction would be that a professional does mainly mental or administrative work, as opposed to engaging in physical work. Many companies include the word professional in their store name to signify the quality of their workmanship or service."

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Apparently Emile Heskey is a professional, and he's been getting away with it for years. Just as a side-note does anyone know how much Fernando Torres was paid between his last goal to the two he scored against Leicester in the cup last week.

Have a guess I will give you the figure shortly.

J

jonnyc

mike . if we got heated loo seats like you seem to have in your portaloos , there might be a lot more tilers OVER HERE getting nearer your 6000 hours on the job so to speak!!|
I have never had so much comfort on a site as in sweden.
Whats with the matching coloured bib and brace for each trade thing . I thought that was quite cool . even liked the pinky and perky white/pink hoops for the decorators.
seriou sly though it was the best job i had overseas and sure beat living in a grit bin in munich over a whole winter.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Professional?..............or not. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, I'm a building contractor based in South East London. A bathroom that we recently...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone, Jodie here, I registered a few weeks ago but have waited until now to give you the...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
M
Hi all, i went to check out access training over in Cardiff today. Pleased to report everything...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.