Discuss Professional Tiling How is it done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spudas

Hi,

I've just had some tiles working on my bathroom. It is half finshed and for the moment I have asked them not to come back until I have come to an agreement with the manager on hoiw professional tiling should look like.

In my book, you would spread the adheshive on the wall/floor first with a notched spreader and the press the tiles into that.

The way these gyus have gone about it is spreading the adheshive on the back fof the tiles and then pressed the tiles onto the wall. The adhesive has sometimes been squeezed out in the gap between the tiles but more often than not it has not and thus left the edges of the tiles hanging in mid air.

On the floor I have underfloor heating and I can see the wires o the UFH between the tiles.

The manager of the company claims that this procedure is perfectly acceptable but I am claiming that this job is not performed professionally.

I would need some sane word from you guys to support either mine or the company's view. What's you take on this?

/Spud

T

TheWrightTiler

agree, for walls i believe its 65% COVERAGE and floors are 100%

this sounds like dot and dab which imho is unaccepatable, you are right to stop work and seek alternative views, where in the uk are you, perhaps admina can point you in the right direction for a local tiler etc

what size are the tiles and what type of adhesive was used as certain adhesives are no good for tiles over a certain size

cheers

andy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If it is dot-and-dab on the floors, you were right to stop them, as said above.

You say the UFH cables can be seen through the grout joints, is this all over the floor or just in the odd area?

When tiling walls in a wet area I believe it needs to be 80-100% covered. And in the dry areas 60-80% (can anybody confirm this?) so if they have back-buttered the tiles on the walls rather than applying adhesive to the walls, you may be okay. Especially given the fact that adhesive has been forced out of the grout joints, suggesting they're quite covered on the back. Whilst the way they've done it isn't the best, if they washed off the tiles properly to leave a clean grout joint, you should find the tiles are pretty fixed.

Though they could dot-and-dab (so put four big blobs of adhesive on the back of the tiles) and still cause the adhesive to ooze out in the corners, but the tile in this case may not have the correct coverage. Best thing to do, is pull one or two off to check.

As for the cables in the floor, if it is just the odd one across the whole floor, it too could be not as bad as you think given the fact the grout will be forced into the odd isolated area. Though if you can see ALL the cables. That's pretty worrying. And given the fact air pockets under the tiles should not only not be there, they will act as insulation in some sense and stop the heat dispersing evenly across the floor, and could stop the tile be warmed well where there are air pockets.

You could do with lifting a tile somewhere where it won't damage the cable and taking a look at the back of the tile.

If you can take pictures, that'd be great as we'd be able to see a bit better.

W

williamraff

Hi, in response to your question - in Law you have the right to expect an acceptable / reasonable level of competence from those purporting to be professionals.

Any individual or organisation representing themselves as such are bound by this and can be held accountable on this basis if goods, services or advice supplied by them are deemed to be of an unacceptable / unprofessional standard.

The problem with this is - who decides what is aceptable / reasonable?
Building Regs and British Standards are a good place to start, also quoting the relevant best practice from B.R.E ( British Research Establishment) will help.

Trading Standards and ultimately a suitably qualified Legal professional may be your last recourse but hopefully it will not come to that.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but wherever possible the choice of your contractor or service provider should ideally be made based on sound evidence of past work, satisfied clients, no track record of complaints to Trading Standards and evidence of attainment of the appropriate qualifications or accreditaion to a recognised trade association.

I know much of this may be of small comfort to you now but it may help in the future.

I would also just add that the majority of tradesmen are no different to any other walk of life; most are hard working, intrinsically honest individuals who will do their best to accomadate any client worries or isssues and to whom a job well done is the ultimate aim.

I trust that your current concerns can be adressed and / or rectified and hope that this can be done without resorting to legal action.

Kind regards, Will Rafferty BSc Hons Building Surveying and Property Management :thumbsup:.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

agree, for walls i believe its 65% COVERAGE and floors are 100%

this sounds like dot and dab which imho is unaccepatable, you are right to stop work and seek alternative views, where in the uk are you, perhaps admina can point you in the right direction for a local tiler etc

what size are the tiles and what type of adhesive was used as certain adhesives are no good for tiles over a certain size

cheers

andy

65% coverage is kitchen work and other dry areas , in bathrooms it is 100% coverage and floors it is solid bed fixing..:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Hi,

I've just had some tiles working on my bathroom. It is half finshed and for the moment I have asked them not to come back until I have come to an agreement with the manager on hoiw professional tiling should look like.

In my book, you would spread the adheshive on the wall/floor first with a notched spreader and the press the tiles into that.

The way these gyus have gone about it is spreading the adheshive on the back fof the tiles and then pressed the tiles onto the wall. The adhesive has sometimes been squeezed out in the gap between the tiles but more often than not it has not and thus left the edges of the tiles hanging in mid air.

On the floor I have underfloor heating and I can see the wires o the UFH between the tiles.

The manager of the company claims that this procedure is perfectly acceptable but I am claiming that this job is not performed professionally.

I would need some sane word from you guys to support either mine or the company's view. What's you take on this?

/Spud

This is pure guess work to what fixing method has been used.. they can spread the back of the tiles on walls as long as they get the coverage.

We could really do with some pics to see what you are seeing.

Reply to Professional Tiling How is it done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
D
Evening all, a question for all you tiling pro’s please I’m an old school plumber & bathroom...
Replies
Views
A
Hi I am a complete novice when it comes to tiling so I'd appreciate the forums advice on a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Professional Tiling How is it done
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.