Discuss Protective sealer and grouting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Speedoman

Hi

I am looking to purchase a textured tile called Jewel from topps tiles, they have small little textured holes and they sell them in three colours.

I will be looking to purchase two of the colours, white for the wall and black for the floor.

I will be looking to use BAL micromax2 grout and BAL protective sealer to use on the tiles before grouting.

Some information about the tile is below from their website.

Jewel tiles do not require sealing, however due to the nature of the textured surface they are prone to retaining grout in the crevices. Please ensure all grout is cleaned off thoroughly to prevent staining.

It is advisable prior to grouting that a test is completed on a small area of the tile with your chosen grout to ensure no staining occurs. To reduce the risk of efflorescence, adhesive should be fully cured before grouting takes place.

Before grouting, two coats of protective sealant are advised and left to dry for a minimum of one hour. Grouting should be carried out using a hard grout float, and grout should not be left in contact with the tile for more than 15 minutes.

Can I ask you two questions please...

I am assuming I have to test the tile with the chosen grout to check for staining after the protective sealer is applied?

If the grout should not be left in contact with the tile for more than 15 minutes, am I not going to mess the grout joint up when cleaning?

I also read one of the reviews about these tiles...

I purchased these tiles and paid a reputable firm to fit them. Tiler has 30yrs experience and can't get the grout off. Topps tiles supplied us with the grout and adhesive to seal them,yet the grout is glued to these tiles. Tried residue remover and various natural solutions. We have spent hours trying to remove the white grout from the tiles including me scrubing with a toothbrush. Totally unacceptable after spending thousands on a bathroom. I eagerly await the reply to this.

Topps tiles responded saying: Residue Remover Extra Strong diluted 1:5 and apply to surface. Leave for 5-10 minutes then scrub/work with an emulsifying pad and rinse with clean water. When tiles are dry buff with a soft cloth.

The person making the complaint does not mention if they used protective sealer on the tiles before grouting!!

I have only used one grout residue remover before called Fila Grout Residue Remover. I diluted it with water and accidently it splashed on a toilet seat and a chrome shower enclosure frame when I was cleaning some tiles and they both got discoloured! I am not keen to use this product again!

Do people think I have anything to worry about in getting the grout of the tiles with water, providing I use BAL protective sealer?

Would really appreciate help please on the two other questions also.

Thank you!

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Hi , certainly test your tile for removal, the guys may agree to test on unlaid tiles might be best

Could you apply more coats of the sealer to further fill the capillaries on this type of tile finish , perhaps test 3-4 coats on 1-2 tiles and test grout over.

Could you gun the grout in to the joint to minimise contamination( dependant on width of joint)
This may not be possible , the guys will comment on this i am sure ( sorry not a fitter)

With most acidic cleaners/ grout removers , you will need to prep and protect any insitue fittings /furniture also work small controlled section

Sure the guys will aid on your other questions, good luck with the tiles

S

Speedoman

Hi , certainly test your tile for removal, the guys may agree to test on unlaid tiles might be best

Could you apply more coats of the sealer to further fill the capillaries on this type of tile finish , perhaps test 3-4 coats on 1-2 tiles and test grout over.

Could you gun the grout in to the joint to minimise contamination( dependant on width of joint)
This may not be possible , the guys will comment on this i am sure ( sorry not a fitter)

With most acidic cleaners/ grout removers , you will need to prep and protect any insitue fittings /furniture also work small controlled section

Sure the guys will aid on your other questions, good luck with the tiles

Thank you for the info!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Protective sealer and grouting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Work Done Epoxy grout was installed by the Grouting company on the tiles on the external balcony...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB