Discuss Purpose of ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ruth

Plan: laying stone tiles on wooden floor and small concrete area at lower level. I understand that the ply provides horizontal rigidity, reducing horizontal movement, the more layers of ply the more this theory holds (18mm ply). Could I use two sheet of 9mm ply instead of 18mm, from a practical perspective it would be much easier to handle? If the joints were staggered and the two sheets glued propery, both screwed to the boards below (is 200mm spacing correct?), could this be even better than a single 18mm sheet since there would be no gaps between sheets and the whole area would be a single solid layer. This is used in boat building to achieve a rigid structure. Or is there is a good reason for using a single sheet with a small expansion gap (is 3mm approx suggested?). This leads on to the question of decoupling membrane, I can see their merit when you predict some movement of the subfloor, would you always use over ply? With my double sheet idea would I eliminate movement and therefore no need for the mat?

My second query relates to tiling on tiles, I know this is scorned on but the ceramic tiles currently down in the small concrete area have been there forever and seem incredibly well stuck down. The levels would be easier too. They have a textured surface, other than giving them a good wash with sugar soap, is there any need to scratch the surface to provide a key? Would they need a different adhesive to that used on ply?

I much appreciate your opinions and words of wisdom

D

DHTiling

I see, does that mean everything is about reducing lateral deflection, and there is no horizontal movement?
I strengthened my floor following the forum's advice, I have tiny joists (4 inch) at standard intervals so shortened the span (now < 1m) with block piers and concrete lintels from below.

No!, you have to combat deflection ( vertical movement).. Horizontal is lateral and that is secondary movement.,,:)

Reply to Purpose of ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Purpose of ply
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.