Discuss Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cosmo

Hi,

At the moment the wiring of the electric shower is outside of the bathroom wall. I have to push them inside the plasterboard and tile over them. Is there a fail safe/ best way to do the job and what equipment/ model is best used for the job? i.e. how to create a long thin gap on the plasterboard and push the wiring in then subsequent tile over it?

What is best to do with the gap created afterwards before tiling?

Hopefully I could hear from someone soon. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 9966

if you're unsure about touching electrical wires then you should seek professional advice from a qualified electrician.

if it's just a case of chasing out a channel in existing plasterboard, then you can usually cut into plasterboard with a knife. unfortunately, i wouldn't know what to suggest you use to fill the gap afterwards, so i'll let my TF colleagues answer that one :thumbsup:

Are you planning on having a shower installed again ? if so, are you wanting the same wire feed to come through the tile,2 different scenarios to 2 different questions. If the cable isn't to be used again, you may need an electrician to make the circuit safe, if your going to use the cable then drill a hole through the tile in question and bring the cable through, isolate or better still, get an electrician in.

why can't you remove the plasterboard and run the cable inside the partition stud?

Ah, now I read it as trying to get rid of a cable, having re-read it, I think your right Doug, routing of cables for new installs does fall under part P iirc so a qualified electrician will be needed, especially as the earthing will have to be sound.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
I wouldn't reccomend cutting a channel as the plasterboard will be unsupported on either side.I would find out where the studs were(normally at 400mm centres) .Cut down the sides of the studs and remove the entire section between them , then reroute the wire and screw a piece of 50x50 timber to the sides of the studs and replace the plasterboard, screw in place and tile over :)

T

Triffid

If you don't want to cut out all of your plasterboard (though this is probably easiest and quickest) you can make a small hole at the top to fee the wire through and sown the partition to another hole at the position you want the wire to come through. Means a lot of fiddling around and swearing while you try and locate the wire but if it's not already been tiled then quickest is to remove board and replace.

Agree with everyone else about the electrician if it is a new shower.

CJ Ceramics - love your piccy, are you afflicted with the scooter bug or is it just a piccy? I have a kitted and retro'd PX.

D

Deleted member 9966

with electrics, if you're replacing like for like, you're entitled within the new laws to do this without having to get a qualified spark in. so if you are taking one shower unit out and putting a brand new one in exactly the same place without changing any of the wiring etc, you don't need a spark.

however, if you're ever unsure how to do anything with electrics, it always pays to get a professional in first to do the job. saves time, aggro and money later :yesnod:

Reply to Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me. I have a brick wall that’s had render put on it and...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks