Discuss Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevg

with electrics, if you're replacing like for like, you're entitled within the new laws to do this without having to get a qualified spark in. so if you are taking one shower unit out and putting a brand new one in exactly the same place without changing any of the wiring etc, you don't need a spark.

however, if you're ever unsure how to do anything with electrics, it always pays to get a professional in first to do the job. saves time, aggro and money later :yesnod:

Thanks for clarifying that point GRR :)

S

Scott

Unless the new unit is higher powered than the exisiting then either the fuse or cable may not be correct for the job. Get a sparks and get it checked either way.

I only ever fit 10mm T&E cable back to the board then let the sparky wire it in with the fuse he says is rated correctly.

Changing a light fitting or plug socket is one thing but a 10.5kw shower on a 4 or 6mm cable will have a melt down

A

aph257

Unless the new unit is higher powered than the exisiting then either the fuse or cable may not be correct for the job. Get a sparks and get it checked either way.

I only ever fit 10mm T&E cable back to the board then let the sparky wire it in with the fuse he says is rated correctly.

Changing a light fitting or plug socket is one thing but a 10.5kw shower on a 4 or 6mm cable will have a melt down

same for me

S

smokey

Cosmo hi with regards to moving cables my interpretation would be if you have in no way changed the run and installation of the cable then it is ok, An example would be if your cable was a socket supply and was clipped to the surface and you buried it in a wall then you have changed the installation and would need it signed off by a qualified Electrician he would then have to fit RCB if not already there or mechanically protect it and test .Again if you moved a cable and it went through insulation you would need to calculate it's current carrying capacity and act accordingly.
There are jobs you can do that need notifying to Building regs and and some that do not. The british standard regs BS 7671 are non statutory but can be used in a court of law evidence to claim compliance with statutory requirements Best advice is to advise customer that you cannot touch electrical work of any kind and call in a qualified Electrician
regards Smokey

Reply to Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me. I have a brick wall that’s had render put on it and...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Pushing Wire Into Wall Before Tiling. HELP!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.