Discuss PVA on walls. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
although it not what id use now, but when I started tiling which is over 30 years ago nearly every tiler used PVA, cant say I came across any problems ,

Thats why I like replacing bathrooms that are over 8-10 years old. You just know the tiles will come off easy.
hope I don't have to replace anything that has had cement board, acrylic primer, c2 adhesive.:thumbsup: Will have to demolish the house round it!

Last edited:
C

Colour Republic

I'm sure it's the same guy who, in another of his highly informative videos, advises to grout the gap between the bath and tiles! Apparently silicone stops water getting back out from behind the tiles, I'll see if I can find it.

Yeap same guy Bri

In the first 5 mins he claims

- You don't need to waterproof anything in bathroom
- Use a sponge to apply grout
- Half fill the bath with water BEFORE tiling
- Don't use silicone around a bath, use grout instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why I like replacing bathrooms that are over 8-10 years old. You just know the tiles will come off easy.
hope I don't have to replace anything that has had cement board, acrylic primer, c2 adhesive.:thumbsup: Will have to demolish the house round it!
that's a safe combination you're using Chalker would take some getting off:thumbsup: ,

as regards to the bathrooms that was tiled 8-10yr + do tend to come of easy that could be other combination of other thing as well, such as cheap tub adhesive are wall prep ,if its just down to pva then is it suitable just putting acrylic primer on top like am sure most of us do

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

When I first started my Boss would never use PVA that was in the 70s always used Bal primer and was the stuff deadly It would stain a plastic bath and was highly inflammable,one tiler had a flashover whilst priming a kitchen when the boiler came on.

It was an Acetone primer and as an apprentice that happened to me - pilot light from cooker - when it went out the only mark was on my underpants! The next worse was Ardex Neoprene primer!
But never ever had a tile problem with them.

F

Fliselege

Yeap same guy Bri

In the first 5 mins he claims

- You don't need to waterproof anything in bathroom
- Use a sponge to apply grout
- Half fill the bath with water BEFORE tiling
- Don't use silicone around a bath, use grout instead

[video=youtube;y3sNnEe1Ym0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3sNnEe1Ym0&list=UUaaxHw3FYVTz3Bhzluloi2A& index=325[/video]
Why are you knocking his methods? Brilliant if you ask me. We'll have lots of future work putting his jobs right. I like the bloke. ;-)

I

Ian

Good grief, they've got a book!!
60af97dde540eb5afde6716828b1ae36.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to PVA on walls. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB