Guest viewing is limited

Discuss query on emulsion walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Droopy

thanks for the quick replies -as far I know most manufactourers dont state that you have to remove emulsion - most new builds are already emulsioned before you go in as the builder will not wait to see if people are going to tile or not - they just paint everything - not saying that one practice is right or wrong - just personally never had a problem when the proper primer is used

BAL recommend that as much emulsion as possible is removed if it is not sound.

The best way to check is to place several pieces of carpet tape ( decent sized pieces ) around the room. Leave for 10-15 mins. Then peel off. If any paint comes off with the paint. you will have to remove it. If not, then it's fine to tile over.

CUSH68

TF
Hi Fitzer,

The walls I stripped had been plastered and when I did the tape test there was a lot of paint came off. I did also stick an offcut on the wall and left it overnight just to see for myself what would happen for future reference,(I had primed and scored this test area as well).When checked following day I could slide the tile along the wall!! The only thing the tile was stuck to was the film of paint.
Obviously every jobs different and this might be a one off but I am glad i took the time to strip it back cos it could have been a big version of Tetris when I removed my batons otherwise!:thumbsup:
Cheers

Cush

Reply to query on emulsion walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
D
Hi everyone, I need some clarification on wall prep before I begin tiling. I have tiled three...
Replies
Views
Donna1971
D
I have always recommended not tiling onto bonding ever since ive been reading it on here and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
query on emulsion walls
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.