Discuss Question re Hardie and adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

I know these will probably sound like silly questions.

I've been asked to quote for a small 2.5sqm bathroom floor so I'm looking to get this done in a day. My questions are:

1. Can you use rapid set to glue the Hardie boards to the existing substrate (floorboards)
2. If the answer to the above is yes, do you needs to wait for the rapid set to dry before you start tiling to the hardie?

Usually I glue with a standard setting adhesive on the first day and it gets a couple of days to dry out by the time I get to tiling the floor.

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RDTiling

Re: Question re Hadie and adhesive

Thought I would add another question onto this thread as its related to adhesive etc.

Got a chipboard bathroom floor to do this week. Floor is solid and screwed to joists.

I was thinking earlier and started a debate with myself on the need to use some addy on a chipboard floor when laying the hardie boards. I then found a post on here that from a Hardie Rep that said the reason was to account for any possible air pockets.

That aside, I'm going to use addy to fix and then screw the boards into place.

My question is, usually I would use a 6/8 mm trowel to fix over floor boards, but as this is a chipboard floor with no 'voids' in it, could I get away with a smaller trowel size, such as a 3 or 4 mmm trowel?

M

Mr Tiler

Re: Question re Hadie and adhesive

Thought I would add another question onto this thread as its related to adhesive etc.

Got a chipboard bathroom floor to do this week. Floor is solid and screwed to joists.

I was thinking earlier and started a debate with myself on the need to use some addy on a chipboard floor when laying the hardie boards. I then found a post on here that from a Hardie Rep that said the reason was to account for any possible air pockets.

That aside, I'm going to use addy to fix and then screw the boards into place.

My question is, usually I would use a 6/8 mm trowel to fix over floor boards, but as this is a chipboard floor with no 'voids' in it, could I get away with a smaller trowel size, such as a 3 or 4 mmm trowel?

as long as there are no voids in the first place you could even use a mosaic trowel lol, not for me though 6/8 mm.

S

Stef

Cheers guys, looks like ppl happy to do this as long as boards firm so will save time and definitely height issues. Tx reply....

I'm not a great fan of thermal boards (I use them in certain circumstances) as I feel that Hardie gives a bit more strength to the floor.
Hardie state that their boards offer no structural strength but it doesn't feel like that.
Yes the Hardie boards can be a pig to work with, ie cut but they are easy to lay & I've never had a failure with them.

aflemi

TF
Arms
I'm not a great fan of thermal boards (I use them in certain circumstances) as I feel that Hardie gives a bit more strength to the floor.
Hardie state that their boards offer no structural strength but it doesn't feel like that.
Yes the Hardie boards can be a pig to work with, ie cut but they are easy to lay & I've never had a failure with them.
Cheers Steven, well they give negligible additional strength but thats why I use 12mm ply underneath, however as ppl are happy to go straight over well fixed f/boards with hardie and tile over then seems way forward. Key is obviously that you are happy with rigidity of f/boards 1st and yes hardie will add a bit because of their inflexibility but they don't claim that as a benefit.
Good you are busy pal hope you get the right standard of help you need soon, cheers.

S

Stef

Cheers Steven, well they give negligible additional strength but thats why I use 12mm ply underneath, however as ppl are happy to go straight over well fixed f/boards with hardie and tile over then seems way forward. Key is obviously that you are happy with rigidity of f/boards 1st and yes hardie will add a bit because of their inflexibility but they don't claim that as a benefit.
Good you are busy pal hope you get the right standard of help you need soon, cheers.

Cheers Al, started & sacked a tiler with 22yrs experience already, started another tiler last week, a couple of tweeks here & there & he will come good..
Cheers m8, have a good festive..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Question re Hardie and adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB