UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The hammer

To answer your question its probably to earn themselves more money, also there is a serious lack of work just now, i have been asked to do some painting for a client.
I dont know any plumbers that do tiling but i know 2 tilers that do plumbing.
I am old school tradesman its horses for courses i am a tiler and thats it, when i done my apprenticeship in the early 80's we had to render walls and screed floors, i done a fair bit of screeding over the years but very little rendering they are both trades in their own rights.

D

Deleted member 9966

A lot of guys have, over the years, diversified in their abilities and proceeded to learn other trades. In some cases this will help them win business because the customer will only have to pay one individual to come in and rip out their kitchen for example, and put it back together complete with new plumbing, underfloor heating, tiling, electrics, the appliances and units etc. Businesses diversify in order to survive - not putting all of their eggs in one basket so to speak. But then on the other hand, you can find yourself being labelled a "Jack of all trades, master of none".

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
The answer is to know your limitations.
By diversifying I have kept myself in employment and now have a good customer base for quiet times.
I need to uphold my reputation, so I won't tackle anything I know I can't finish to a professional standard.

I have had to diversify in the past and it has led to much bigger jobs. eg. Got a call from a lady regarding fitting a dishwasher door on a replacement integrated appliance as the plumber couldn't fit it. Ended up doing that job and getting an full en-suite to do for her and her neighbour. I have a few guys who I work with and like Kendo says if I can't finish to a professional standard I call in the guys who I trust can.

K

kendo1

Thanks, John.
I started as a kitchen fitter which requires a fair few skills and accuracy. Like tiling, you learn about walls and load bearing, you accomodate imperfections in the walls' straightness and plumb, rises and falls in floor level. The plumbing side was easy and I moved on to bathroom fitting(where you learn about correct waste management and water pressure), which inevitably led on to small tiling jobs and then larger and more complex installations. Natural stone was the next progression- with all that entails. It is also very enjoyable.
I've managed to get two kids through private school from the age of three to eighteen (only one now that my son has left school-only one year to go!) £1700 a month is a big commitment and requires a constant income, hence the diversification. If I need to put up fencing and do some decorating along the way, well so be it.

Ken

K

kendo1

Travertine 600 x 300 on walls, riven slate floor. The unit is custom made, I just fitted it.
Wall hung toilet and there's a huge shower head just off pic above the bath.

dsc64.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pro-spec

Id call myself a plasterer and tiler as ive done both hand in hand for over 10 years, I have an nvq2 in plastering and plumbing altho i do not call myself a plumber as i rarely do any, Last week i offered to remove wall paper for a customer before plastering as i knew this would sway the job into my favour. because i removed the paper i don't call myself a painter and decorator.
The point is you can call yourself anything you want but it don't mean you are it!

Reply to Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.