UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

I got a question, when does someone cross the border between being a bloody fantastic tiler/stonemason....to an 'artisan'? I hate words like this, to me its pompous, self absorbing, totally pathetic and SMUG. I learnt a long time ago, you keep your mouth shut, and your head down, if your good at something then people will recognise this, you shouldn't need to bang on about how fantastic you are. It seriously makes me wonder what this industry is coming to when these people use these words. We all work in the same trade, we all do our jobs to do, and do them to the best standard we can. Theres to much of it going on, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, instead of bigging themselves up.

If I ever used the word 'artisan' I would hope one of you would give me a swift kick up the bum and bring me down to earth.

Lynn

G

Gazzer

I got a question, when does someone cross the border between being a bloody fantastic tiler/stonemason....to an 'artisan'? I hate words like this, to me its pompous, self absorbing, totally pathetic and SMUG. I learnt a long time ago, you keep your mouth shut, and your head down, if your good at something then people will recognise this, you shouldn't need to bang on about how fantastic you are. It seriously makes me wonder what this industry is coming to when these people use these words. We all work in the same trade, we all do our jobs to do, and do them to the best standard we can. Theres to much of it going on, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, instead of bigging themselves up.

If I ever used the word 'artisan' I would hope one of you would give me a swift kick up the bum and bring me down to earth.

Lynn

I can relate to this but its only a word...the definition of Artisan is a skilled manual worker who makes items that may be functional or strictly decorative, including furniture, clothing, jewelry, household items, and tools or even machines such as the handmade devices of a watchmaker. An artisan is therefore a person engaged in or occupied by the practice of a craft, who may through experience and talent reach the expressive levels of an art in their work and what they create.

Years ago we had tilers work for us who thought they were better than others so one lot called them selves Ceramic Cladding Technicians .:mad2:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.