Discuss Quiet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

radim

TF
Arms
If I booked in every little dinky job instead of turning them away I would be done for the year. Im lucky enough to be in a postion to refuse the small jobs and take on the task of the more difficult and intricate.
i did 3 metre floor about 3months ago.didnt want the job but went and did it. now I am pricing job for his friend. three barn conversions about 1000m2.........

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well talking to over 30 tile and tile and bathroom shops its been a strange start to the year so far the domestic clients seam to have disapeared on mass but the contract side is getting very busy and this seems the same across the uk if it goes on like this then those shops that depend on the domestic market will be gone by the end of the year how much the internet is playing in this wont be clear intill they relase there sales grouth this year you have to stay very flexabal in a market like this and look at were the work is and follow that path .adapt or go hungry

T

TJ Smiler

I think it may have something to do with Easter being latter this year why some have gone a bit quiet. I am flat out and also booked solid until September. I never turn away the small jobs but i do tell them it will have to be done over a weekend and can fit them in within the next six weeks, then if i get a small break in my diary i slot them in. At the mo though i am playing catch up in my diary and got Tatts in with me next week to speed up a floor i gotta do so i can get back to the bathroom installation i'm in the middle of!!

Had years of struggling but now seem to never stop so no complaints from me at the moment.

W

White Room

Busiest I've ever known so far. Work booked in until Sept/Oct.

I think it may have something to do with Easter being latter this year why some have gone a bit quiet. I am flat out and also booked solid until September. I never turn away the small jobs but i do tell them it will have to be done over a weekend and can fit them in within the next six weeks, then if i get a small break in my diary i slot them in. At the mo though i am playing catch up in my diary and got Tatts in with me next week to speed up a floor i gotta do so i can get back to the bathroom installation i'm in the middle of!!

Had years of struggling but now seem to never stop so no complaints from me at the moment.

If your contracting then I could see why your busy until September but the general public won't wait 2 weeks, if I told them 2 months there'd be off looking somewhere else to do the job.

T

TJ Smiler

If your contracting then I could see why your busy until September but the general public won't wait 2 weeks, if I told them 2 months there'd be off looking somewhere else to do the job.

No i'm not contracting, it's all private work. Personally i don't find it a major problem to take bookings so far in front, lots of customers do want it done tomorrow and i generally find i miss out on them ones (but i only miss out because i'm booked) so although it's annoying to lose them i'm not strictly missing out and i always try to pass it over to someone else. if it's a small job i tell them i will be able to do it within the next six weeks but can't give a deffinate date... many of them are more than happy to do this if they like me, and if i do my job properly on the quote they normally do like me and will wait. As for customers who are investing anywhere between say 2k and 5k on average on a complete bathroom rip out and re-installation they have absolutely no problem waiting if they think they are going to get a proper job.

I can see what your saying though Mark there are loads who call and want it done the next day.

C

charlie1

I turn away about 3 jobs per week, just can't fit them in! I always prioritise the better paying ones even if it means cancelling mrs jones from council est then I let some other less competent tiler pick up the scraps. I'm booked full till 2015 now, all high end work of course, I don't even have time to myself at weekends lol, I don't even know how I'm typing this!!! Hahahaha aha.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

well we had a great start to the year here, when lots of other guys were worrying , right up to two weeks ago ,and now it has dropped -off again, so i.am promoting myself at the moment in the hope it will pick-up again...... mad stuff , sometimes i wish i did your sort of tiling ! well general tiling or stonework or even cleaning and renovation to keep-us going year round ......

C

charlie1

I hope all the sarcasm was detected in my above post. In all honesty, I'm pretty quiet apart from full bathroom refits which covers messy rip outs, joinery, plastering tiling and plumbing, I think I've lost my passion for the tiling at mo. IMO, there simply isn't much money in tiling and that's fine if your happy plodding away... And I know , I know some of you really are very busy just tiling... Well your probably very good tilers in that case but there are better ones with no work... I can assure you!

Reply to Quiet in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just after a quick bit of advice. The other half wants porcelain slabs for the patio...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB