Discuss Quote and win/lose ratio. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
i'm happy with the 50% at the moment as am still in 1st year. By this time next year i'm aiming for 75% with the difference coming from referrals.
Your skills and experience will just increase naturally now providing you go to work every day. Though one thing that you often need to work on is the quoting process and general customer service. Those things can earn you big bucks and they're easier to handle than tiling once you get the general jist of things.

D

david campbell

referralls i tend to get 100% and thats where most of my work comes from,when i do place ads i'm looking at 75%, i tend to find the dates the customer is looking for and what i have available and offer them a date that suits so you are kind of swaying them into booking themselves into your diary, i also find if i can build a good raport with them quickly it helps make them feel at ease and lately i have been winning jobs without being the cheapest quote(a bit of banter with some people gets you the job quite easily)

T

Tenchman

Even in this recession it would be unwise to try & buy contracts my Co has been going since 1982, years ago ok decades ago lol i used to have a commercial section that ran alongside the restoration (which i have been carrying out for 38 years) used to do MOD work lots of motorway stuff = hilton park etc. plus thousands of sq yds on jobs all over . so i've been through a few recessions now.

Last 28 years i've dropped the commercial stuff completely haven't done any for over 20 years. Big format tiles etc i would never been in competition with the vast majority of our community.

On the restoration side there is hardly any competition as there are more contracts than people to do them.
However i still get the inevitable from private clients and the odd public building client ref price and dropping it.

My reply is always the same = No however we may carry out some extras for free or small charge like a section discovered afterwards (small section) but i never drop down to buy a job as it will trip you up in the future, i know it is different when a contract is being chased by a few Co's . That is unfortunate however if you show references and pics of jobs that should eliminate the fly by nights or chancers.

It is hard to stick to your guns when jobs are tight but hopefully things will pick up now house prices are rising again.

Take up Dan's offer of webspace if it still available even one page is an added bonus in getting work.

always have references of work done and pics of same nothing is more convincing than other people blowing your trumpet for you.

you can have diploma's comimg out your ears membership of every trade group possible etc etc but people are not convinced by those only by things thay can see and read about that is pertinent like if you are doing a marble bathroom and you have pics and a ref about one.

I have degrees in ceramics.and trained with one of the top encaustic tile makers but i don't put down all the fancy stuff on my website or cards, because it is what you can actually do that counts not what you say you can do.

the old adage a picture paints a thousand words is always going to be relevant to our trade whether it is a restoration or geometric i do or the brilliant big format stuff that Phil Hobson has done or mosaics from other's or natural stonework our work is always out there to be seen walked over touched so get lots of pics and badger people for refs that way you can get the edge over others .

a quote that ardex use is .

"there is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey"

John Ruskin 1819-1900

Sorry to ramble that quote was true when he wrote and remains so now, those who go for cheap option are just storing trouble, i hope everyone can get through the current rubbish we are having without losing out .

cheers Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Quote and win/lose ratio. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm currently an A-Level DT student. My project involves me making a product for my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Quote and win/lose ratio.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.