Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Quoting against two others that were cheaper, and won the work! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

Ok I went to do a quote the other day just a small wet room but all the walls needed boarding and tanking in the shower area. The lady tells me all the sanitary will be removed by the plumber and the walls will be sorted by the plasterer. So I told her not to skim the walls just board and I will tile on the boards. I must have spent abut two hours with her going through all the things that needed to be don. I gave her my price for the tiling and advice on all prep work and materials to be used. The lady said the plumber is coming over to quote that evening and the plasterer is quoting tomorrow so I said no problem and bid her good day. I got a call yesterday from the husband saying can I come back over to have a chat. (I’m thinking did I do something wrong or did I hit on his wife or something) so I went back and wrung the bell the chap answered (big lad built like a barn door) alright m8 what’s up(gulp)
He said Come in and sit down. He starts to tell me about the plumbers quote apparently the plumber said I was talking rubbish and they didn’t need to tank the walls just PVA them and tile. He then tells me the plumber offered to do the tiling for half my price. (I’m just sitting and listening to this rubbish.) Then he tells me about the plasterers quote. Apparently they did not need to use hardy backer in the shower they could use moisture resistant plaster board and tank with PVA. This joker has suggested that they use 6mm marine ply on the floor as well. And made the comment that I was just spending there money. He also quoted for doing the tiling and was even cheaper than the plumber. At this point I am thinking ether this chap just wants to tell me I talk a load of rubbish or he wants me to drop my price but that was never going to happen. So I am just about to say if you want a job like that I’m not your man. When he says so how are your boarding skills and do you have a plumber that you use? So I ended up giving them a quote for the lot and got the job on the spot. I was chuckling to my self all the way home. :lol:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Re: quoting

Classic!!! I hope to God the plumber and plasterer find out why they lost the job, back stabbing fools:lol::lol::lol:

Haha, totally agree with you there!

It's how times are I think. Every trade that gets a job seems to want to dothe lot, whether they know how to or not. It's not like the good old days (I say that, I mean early 2008 though) when a bathroom fitter did have ALL the skills required, or networked well with the other trades.

Dog eat dog didn't pay off this time hey?!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sorryyyyyyyyyyy. I just thought "quoting" didn't do the thread justice. haha

We get hundreds of quoting threads a week, but ones like this are few and far between. Normally it's a "so I want you to help me quote this job". A nice 'won a quote against a plasterer and a plumber' thread is nice to read every now and again.

Now let this be a lesson to you all. Use descriptive titles for your threads or you'll be baffled when I change them on you! haha :thumbsup:

Reply to Quoting against two others that were cheaper, and won the work! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Quoting against two others that were cheaper, and won the work!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.