UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss raising floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All

i did a bathroom floor nearly 6 months ago, the plumber laid 18mm ply on the floor over the joists and added more supports. the floor was solid with loads of screws all over it.
i then laid electric underfloor heating single wire and tiled on top,plenty of weber rapid set flexible addy.
The plumber called me today to say the customer has said the floor is raising up,about 4 weeks ago he said the door was catching on the floor and thought the door might of dropped a bit but now its worse.

Ive never had this before and have to go with the plumber tomorrow to look at it, would like some info to go armed with if anybody has come across this before.

i did the job in October last year.

many thanks

MS .tiles

hi
i normally cover the underfloor heating with tile adhesive with a grout float and then tile on top,flexible addy.
i primed ply
slight gaps between ply
i told them not to turn on heating for a couple of weeks.
dont know if they turned it on or not due to not being there.

if the tiles are still stuck to the ply then would it due to the ply and heating being on to early, is there anyway of telling the heating was put on to early??

why does everybody recommend ply if its not that good to tile on to,is it just because it strengthens the floor better??
wont know until we get there but he hasnt mentioned the tiles being loose just the floor raising a bit.
i wanted to use insulation boards but it would of raised the floor to high so everybody was against them if i remember right.

thanks for the replies

M

Mike Mike

hi
i normally cover the underfloor heating with tile adhesive with a grout float and then tile on top,flexible addy.
i primed ply
slight gaps between ply
i told them not to turn on heating for a couple of weeks.
dont know if they turned it on or not due to not being there.

if the tiles are still stuck to the ply then would it due to the ply and heating being on to early, is there anyway of telling the heating was put on to early??

why does everybody recommend ply if its not that good to tile on to,is it just because it strengthens the floor better??
wont know until we get there but he hasnt mentioned the tiles being loose just the floor raising a bit.
i wanted to use insulation boards but it would of raised the floor to high so everybody was against them if i remember right.

thanks for the replies

You've got to ask yourself, and the plumber, whether all the materials used were in accordance with British Standards, and whether the installation work you both did was as per British Standards.

If the answer is YES and YES then it sounds like a discussion between three insurance companies: yours, the householder's and the plumber's.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Can you take some pictures when you're back there so we can continue the discussion after seeing them?

Check the door hasn't dropped a bit as well. If you're like me and take the door off to work in the room then put it back at the end of the day. If you too work like this then the screwholes for the hinge plates might of spread. If you had the door off did you re-drill and plug the hinge screws?

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

If a customer ever does this, how wold you know?

Hi I had this once, cost me two days labour for good will, Mapei rep took one look at a lifted tile and said "thermal shock" tile had adhesive residue like sand paper on the back. I re-laid the floor foc, even though the customer had told me she could not walk on the floor without slippers. It was a faulty thermostat, and the fact they had whacked the heat on to soon, and to high.

No adhesive will cope with that type of temperature, or the sudden increase, but I spent two days replacing the floor to keep my reputation intact.:thumbsdown:

C

charlie1

Hi I had this once, cost me two days labour for good will, Mapei rep took one look at a lifted tile and said "thermal shock" tile had adhesive residue like sand paper on the back. I re-laid the floor foc, even though the customer had told me she could not walk on the floor without slippers. It was a faulty thermostat, and the fact they had whacked the heat on to soon, and to high.

No adhesive will cope with that type of temperature, or the sudden increase, but I spent two days replacing the floor to keep my reputation intact.:thumbsdown:

That was a very good deed considering not your fault.
Did the customer disregard your instructions or faulty heat mat? Is be wanting paid again!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to raising floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.