Discuss Rapid V slow set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Don

Most tilers, me included will purchase their own add and grout, would be good to remember that they will probabaly be able to get a better discount on materials than yourself.

I appreciate that. However I'm getting a very good deal as I am buying a bunch of other stuff too, the addy and grout is costing me virtually nothing. Sounds like rapid would be a safe choice but will run it by them first.

Many thanks for the replies.

R

Rich

Be sure that you are getting the correct adhesive that is suitable for the substrate. You should be fine with most adhesives on the plasterboard but tiling onto ply is a different ball game all together and will result in cracked tiles and grout if the wrong adhesive is used or the prep work on the floor before tiling is not carried out properly.

Mind if I ask what adhesive you are going to pick up?
Also what is the construction of the floor?

D

Don

The brand I am not sure of but can check, the docket says 20kg Flexi RSA?

The floor is first floor ensuite. The old tiles are coming up. AFAIK under those tiles are boards on joists. Existing tiles are fine, ie no cracking or movement below. Given that the old tiles are coming up the tiler wants a new ply base to work on, this was going to replace the old boards on the joists. Does that sound OK?

Be sure that you are getting the correct adhesive that is suitable for the substrate. You should be fine with most adhesives on the plasterboard but tiling onto ply is a different ball game all together and will result in cracked tiles and grout if the wrong adhesive is used or the prep work on the floor before tiling is not carried out properly.

Mind if I ask what adhesive you are going to pick up?
Also what is the construction of the floor?

R

Rich

The new ply should be min 18mm boil/water proof and the under side and sides should be sealed to stop them absorbing moisture, then screwed down at a min of 300mm centres. You may also need to add noggins to the joists to make sure that there is no deflection in the floor. I would also over board this with a 6mm cement board (glued and screwed).

Might seem like over kill but this will give you about as good a substrate to tile onto as you cas get. If it is done wrong then it can cause a world of trouble.

With regards to adhesive, talk to the supplier and make sure that it is suitable for your use.
:thumbsup:

Reply to Rapid V slow set in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm about to lay some antique 6"x6"x 0.5" ceramic tiles, all clean and dry, onto...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rapid V slow set
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.