Discuss Rapid v Standard Set (Mixing) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

With reference to Gonners thread it has made me think of something...

Do you ever use rapid and standard set on the same job? Not as in mixing the two together or even on the same job but different tiling areas, but would you ever maybe use standard set and rapid set on say the same floor? lets say the floor is 30sqm.

Let me explain my thinking...

As I undertake a lot of plasterboard jointing and also filling on decoration jobs I often use different set Gyproc Easi-fil's on the same area.

Easi-Fil comes in 'standard set', '45 min set' and also now '20 min set'.

First thing to note is that the times stated are not how long after application you can sand the product but how long after it has hardened enough to apply a second coat, so if I was jointing a large area, I may well use a 45min set for the first coat which is thicker and takes longer to apply, but then as the second coat I may well apply a 20 min set, as the second coat is thin and quicker to apply so I don't need the bucket life but want it to set quicker for a few different reasons.

In tiling it is reversed (well in my case) . Lets use that floor as an example, I may well want to use a radid set addy on the field tiles in order to get them down and be able to walk on them to sort out my cuts on the same day, so when it comes to the cuts I may want a bit more bucket life rather than be rushed... so......

How often would you guys use different set addys to suit the task in hand? I understand that on occassion you will have just bought the one type of addy for that job but in many cases you will have a diffrent set addy sitting in the van.

Reply to Rapid v Standard Set (Mixing) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Rapid v Standard Set (Mixing)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.