UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Re:- Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Today I have been slaughtered (and not in a drinky in the gutter kind of way). Even though we finished this contract a year ago, the client can still call me back in for defects, this is one of my 'defects' a black and white patterned patio, which they now tell me the white marble has turned brown. Tomorrow the 'expert' is turning up to view this floor, tonight I will write my report, but before I do that I just wanted a second opinion from someone. For your information, it was dry laid and checked in Portugal, and we laid it on white adhesive here. I believe I know what has happened but I just want someone to have a look at these photos.

Thanks in Advance

Lynn

Regents Park11.jpg Regents Park12.jpg

P

Pebbs

Re: - Advice

No they don't have dogs, they hardly use this patio area. Then I remembered something from another job years ago, when we had installed a white marble kitchen top, and it had been stained orange due to a pumpkin sitting on it. There is a 'living wall' that has been installed, and I started reading, about dead leaves and twigs decomposing and tannin being released. I now believe the staining is from the living garden debris that has been left there over the winter. So that's what I'm going with.

I think I am right...well I hope so!

Lynn

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

i think you are half right seen this before with small plant pots the water get traped under neath with no escape this causes the water to get pushed into the stone a capillare reaction takes place. for water and stains not to go into the surface it needs air flow to dry out the water traped under any surface ie draining boards pepballs garden candales if the water cant escape or is traped between two surface it will push into the weakest

J

jonnyc

I think marble tony is near the mark.
i have seen this before but cant remember the cause.
plant pots do cause stains but they are easier to identify. tannin also stains stone outside but it would be more evenly covered over whole area i think.
i have seen strange discolouration coming through stone from base in past even if laid in white adhesive.
do you know what the base is made up of.
water does of course get in to marble /stone over a period of time even if sealed and this could cause a mineral migration in stone

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

just seen this thread,and yes i can confirm it is staining from plant-life rotting down over a period of time ,when we marblelight a swimming poo in white l iif its an outdoor pool and the winter cover is a bit late going on you have to make sure no leaves a left as they sink to the floor of the pool and break-down over the winter period and the end results are exactly the same, we also get hair slide's/clips rusting and the rust staining in white pools

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire

just seen this thread,and yes i can confirm it is staining from plant-life rotting down over a period of time ,when we marblelight a swimming poo in white l iif its an outdoor pool and the winter cover is a bit late going on you have to make sure no leaves a left as they sink to the floor of the pool and break-down over the winter period and the end results are exactly the same, we also get hair slide's/clips rusting and the rust staining in white pools

Also known as a floater:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.........:oops:

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london

I agree here, also seen some tree with purple berries falling on limestone and staining badly.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Re:- Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

L
We have recently had black limestone laid but the builders who laid it didn't seal it nor did...
Replies
Views
lh3018
L
C
Hi - Can someone advise please? I am preparing to tile a bathroom with 600x300mm 10mm thick...
Replies
Views
F
Hi, after ripping up some tatty laminate floor in the hall of our 1930s house we ve discovered a...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there - I would be grateful for your feedback!! I bought a worn limestone patio 8.1 x 3.9...
Replies
Views
Topshop
T
R
Morning, A complete novice to the site and to the industry so please be gentle. I have...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.