Discuss RE: Tuthai thread in the open forum in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

I know we don't allow pricing in the open forum so thought it worth posting this in here with regards to this thread http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/67223-opinion-job-please-satisfactory-finish.html just so you know how much she has been charged in total for the tiling. It's a pretty penny and should command a decent finish.

This was a post she made on another forum...

I'm certainly not trying to hide anything. I want to be fair to the tiler as we have a good relationship but it did strike me a large sum for what seems a very small area.

Colour Republic..... you are spot on. I wasn't including the horizontal border around the diamond pattern. So yes, 6 metres is about right.

The only area tiled above the dado is in this area shown in the photos. The rest of the room will be just paint above the dado.

The quote was for labour and materials (grout etc) and the skimming of wall. I supplied all the marble tiles.

Total for downstairs bathroom was £984

Total for upstairs (including laying a waterproof shower floor fabric and tiling the shower floor) £845.

However 1 week down the line he claimed the walls were in bad condition and he couldn't render over the old existing pads. So he would have to grind the old concrete pads off before rendering. Additional cost of £822. I have added a photo of the pads he had to hack off. It's the brown pads behind the white pads he removed back to the brickwork as shown in the second photo. It's the same wall just from a different angle.

So total quote: £2651

He now wants an additional £520 which will take the job to £3171.

I'm happy with the job but I need your expert guidance as to whether that 6 metre area justifies a further £520. It's cost plenty already.

Thanks again :) Appreciate it

tftf2.jpg tftf1.jpg

C

Colour Republic

nah sorry vital bit of info was left out.

Total tiled area was 24sqm which they were charging the £984 and £845 for, so £1829 in total (which is for labour and materials including some plastering for making good, not including the tiles)

They then found they couldn't skim the walls so charged her an additional £822 So the total was £2,651

She then asked for the 6sqm above the dado to be diamond set, they were already going to tile it within the original price but then told her they wanted £520 EXTRA for doing this after they had tiled it. £520 just to set out differently is one hell of an upshot!

So now they want £3,171 for the 24sqm tiling and some plastering in one of the rooms

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to RE: Tuthai thread in the open forum in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB