UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Rebedding Parquet in Bitumen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

I have a small amount of recovered parquet flooring which was originally laid in a bitumen on a concrete floor. I want to relay this on a timber floor (WBP layer on top of boards). I was wondering if anyone could recommend or identify a suitable new adhesive / bed that will bond adequately with the residual bitumen on the tiles. I am advised that the modern adhesives don't bond well and that the older cold bitumen emulsions have been taken off the market. this is a DIY'er job and while I could scrape off all the old bitumen, there is always a residual layer (aside from the fact that it will take weeks to scrape off all the old stuff. I was thinking of just sofening it with a hot gun and laying it directly to the WBP.
Any help would be great.

U

Unregistered

Hi, Came accross your post by accident whilst researching porcelain tile sealers. I've just laid 75 sq m of Mahogany flooring (DIY) and did a fair amount of research before I started. I'd recommend leveling the floor area using 9mm ply screwed to the old floor and use gripfill or similar to keep the ply level. Everyone I spoke to recommended leycol 5500 flexible advisive (it made by laybond who also make Gripfill). You do unfortuantly have to remove as much of the old* Bitumen as you can as if you don't the adhesive sticks to the old bitumen and softens it which means your blocks might not stay secure. I used a Chisel and tungsten carbide harris decorators scrapers from Screwfix and clamped the blocks in a workmate. if you have just a small area it won't take too long (i'm told putting the blocks in bags and into the freezer makes the bitumen brittle and easier to chip off but with mine it was brittle and came off reletively easily anyway (just took a long time as I had so many to clean). Check out diynot forum you'll find posts from a company called Wood U Like and if you visit their site you'll find usefull info about refitting reclaimed parquet.*

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Rebedding Parquet in Bitumen in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for your experts' advice in a situation...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.