Discuss reclaimed parquet flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wikey

hi
i have a load of parquet flooring that we are going to do two rooms with
the backs have been heated and scraped and most of the bitumen removed to a smooth layer of it left on the back.

the sides and top have not been cleaned.

my questions are

do i need to remove all the bitumen off the backs or will it be ok as long as they are all smooth and the lumps removed?

do i need to clean the sides and if so how, as i dont want to wear the sides such that there are gaps when they are laid?

can i just leave the tops till i sand the lot down when they are all laid?

what adhesive should i use, given they were set in bitumen before? the floors are concrete, old or with new levelling compound poured on them

thanks very much for any help

regards
Wikey

N

newlineuk

When I did mine, I passed all the blocks through a thicknesser to remove all the bitumen. I then used a glue for Parquet. Its in the garage and cant remember the name. The sides were pretty clean. I sanded the lot afetr fixing then used the sawdust from the final sanding to mix with a special filler ...It was then a case of sort of grouting alll over to fill any gaps and another sand.

Perfect, just the ticket...

W

wikey

thanks for the advice

When I did mine, I passed all the blocks through a thicknesser to remove all the bitumen. I then used a glue for Parquet. Its in the garage and cant remember the name. The sides were pretty clean. I sanded the lot afetr fixing then used the sawdust from the final sanding to mix with a special filler ...It was then a case of sort of grouting alll over to fill any gaps and another sand.

T

tfs

Hi wicky,

as Sir ramic mentioned a thicknesser would be ideal for removing from the back as this will ensure an even amount has been removed. An electric planer could be an alternative, but less accurate.

The sides should be fine. If there is alot of residue left on them then try to remove but if they were already fitted then they should not be too bad to put together.

Lay over an slc and use a tubbed adhesive spread with trowel. Lay your first row with a fast setting tube of adhesive to enable the first run to set (in a straight line) to avoide movement whilst you are fitting the floor. Same applies to herringbone in regards to setting your first run.

F Ball are a good choice for wooden floor adhesive:thumbsup:

Reply to reclaimed parquet flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
reclaimed parquet flooring
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks