UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Recommendations for a circular saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

John the tile

Hello,

Im after some recommendations for a decent circular saw and also what specification I should look for? It will be used initially to cut Plank floor boards so they can all be lifted in a bathroom ready for laying WBP ply. I want something decent that will last a long time but I may not use that often..

I had a quick look in B£Q they have a Makita, dewalt and JCB plus alot of cheaper ones. The JCB has the highest powered motor and they all cut to about the same depth...

Any thoughts and ideas...

Also, when cutting floorboards, do you have to get right close to the walls, because when I looked at the saws in B$Q they have a platform for the blade which will stop the saw getting right to the edge of the wall by about an inch....

Thanks

D

davemul

if you cut it all the way around leaving an inch of floorboards the remaing bits of floorboards would come out easy as they'll only be going an inch under the skirtings. if you're replacing the whole floor why don't you just rip it all up board by board?

Depends where the joists are Mike. 9/10 you'd be right but..
in my bathroom when I took the floorboards up, there was no joist under the stud wall! I had to leave about 2" of floorboard on the perimeter wall screwed to half the joist inside the room. Pain but had I gone right up to the wall, there wouldve been no support.

The fein was a lifesaver in this instance too!

M

Mike

Depends where the joists are Mike. 9/10 you'd be right but..
in my bathroom when I took the floorboards up, there was no joist under the stud wall! I had to leave about 2" of floorboard on the perimeter wall screwed to half the joist inside the room. Pain but had I gone right up to the wall, there wouldve been no support.

The fein was a lifesaver in this instance too!
the stud wall must have been erected after the house was built then and not a usual case scenario

T

tfs

I have three cirular saws that I use for three different situations.

1. Corder circualr saw, for ripping heavier materials and rough materials

2. Cordless makita 18v saw, for cutting cls, ply up to 18mm and for cutting access in floor boards etc (works perfect for floor boards)

3. Festool plunges saw for quality cuts in wetwall, laminate, wood floor, doors and worktops etc

If you just need one mainly for cutting into floor boards I would reccomend something similar to my Makita 18v as this is light, easy to carry around and up to the job. Other brands like dewalt etc would be equaly suitable in my opinion.

Hope this helps

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I have the cheapest Dewalt circular saw from Screwfix, I think it was about £85 a couple of years ago, so knowing Screwfix it will be £104.99 now.

Just be a little wary of going mad with a circular saw on a bathroom floor even with the depthstop set a 16mm you could still nick a pipe, sometimes a floorboard will be notched underneath if a pipe stands pround of the top of a joist.

I've never done it myself but I see it from time to time.

Cut into a 28mm heating pipe over the louge ceiling and its game over.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Recommendations for a circular saw in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Advice Hi guys, got some 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles to lay in a hallway with a modular pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking at wet saws and only a DIY here but got a few odd shapes to cut. What would...
Replies
Views
Im going to be tiling my shower room walls and floor with some large format tiles as per the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.