Discuss Red nose... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Just came in - after a mosaic disaster - mega tension, thumping head - dinner and hopefully relax with that on tv now... Howard says it's been great, unaware of the drama unfolding in my little shed - he just saw me and he said, god, you're as white as sheet!! I won't pinch the thread, and I fixed the mayhem caused by useless USELESS!!! mosaic adhesive film ...but yes, some comedy/entertainment will be great now ... definitely.

U

user123

Its the same sad stuff...................nothing has changed in 20 odd years.

Exactly, and it is all because of a profit driven pharmaceutical industry. I had looked into it years ago, wondering why us tourist can have malaria preventative medicine and the people who need it most, can't? And then to be honest kind of forgot about it again. It's because those families seen suffering on the Red Nose day can't pay for any of it, but us relatively wealthy tourists who want to go to these places are happy enough to pay our 60 quid or whatever it is now to protect ourselves. Being a pharmacist's daughter I grew up being told about the crazy profit margins there are, it's big business, that in the end is more important to those pharmaceutical companies than to use some of their billions to make vaccines available to the affected countries. And let's face it, human life in development countries is not valued as much by the relatively wealthy west as human life in our 'civilised' world.
It's a bitter irony that so much money can be collected on Red Nose day for nets and a diagnosis kit!!! when the Path organisation could do with at least some of that, even a mention - how many people know about them? An excerpt on their contributions page is understated and dignified, but how frustrating it must be for them!

"Thank you for your interest in supporting the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI). PATH is an international, nonprofit organization that creates sustainable, culturally relevant solutions, enabling communities worldwide to break longstanding cycles of poor health. Our MVI work is dedicated to accelerating the development of malaria vaccines and ensuring their availability and accessibility in the developing world. Contributions to this work are used for vaccine development projects but also to address commercialization and policy barriers to malaria vaccine development and to further communications and advocacy. We appreciate your contributions and will put to good use gifts of any size."

S

SandyFloor

I have an idea about vaccines which may or may not be flawed. I'm assuming some are more susceptible to malaria than others and those that are will die and the those who aren't will grow up to breed children who will have inherited the parent's resistance. By introducing vaccines are we interfering with nature to the point that subsequent generations will have decrasing natural immunity to malaria?

U

user123

Sandy, I'm with you with regards, to some vaccines, for example in case of mumps and measles, but with Malaria I think it's different - the last statistic I read about was that on average one child dies every 2 and half minutes of it.

My son nearly died of Dengue fever two years back in Thailand, (he was in intensive care in Bangkok), and flies are flies are flies, they just get places, it's a cruel lottery, nets help reduce the chance to get bitten by how much?

Reply to Red nose... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Porcelain Identify packaging
Looking for some help please, does anyone recognise this packaging?
Replies
Views
Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Red nose...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.