Discuss Removal of grout on big job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alexc1989

Hi every1 wondering if anyone can help me, ive tiled a 125 meter floor in porcelain 600x600 with 2ml joints and the grout needs to be redone as it is cracking everywhere. Does any1 know of an easy way of raking the grout out? The problem i have is that it is a clothes shop and is still trading so i am going in on nights so dust needs to be kept to a minimum. Is there any decent tool out there that makes this job easier?

K

Knackered Knees

Very difficult, especially against porcelain, and small joints. You need to work out what is causing the cracking of the grout in the first place, Deflection perhaps? or other movement? Did you place any expansion joins over the 125m2 floor?

For tight joints and the 'odd' tile removal or repair I've used a dremel tool with a very fine tungsten burr, but for such a large area it would take you a very very long time.

G

Gazzer

As above, you need to find out why its cracking. It could be the wrong grout has been used or incorrectly mixed etc but there is no point regrouting for it to happen again.

The quickest way IMO would be a tile saw and grout removal wheel, both available from ************** Home
TradeTiler.Ltd SAW

TradeTiler.Ltd WHEEL

You will of course need water to keep down the dust and a wet/dry vac to clean up with.

K

Knackered Knees

A 50/50 split would not be acceptable if it were my own reputation as a tiler, by accepting this deal you have accepted part of the responsibility, and why should that be, you didn't supply the materials. The clients were advised by you that the materials being supplied may be sub standard and may well not be the best choice. In cases like this, and if it happens in the future you need to protect yourself from recourse. When I'm asked to fix under these circumstances I have paperwork saying 'SIGN HERE!' and frees me from liability. Watch the SLY BUGGERS! run for cover when this bit of paperwork gets pulled out.

S

Spud

A 50/50 split would not be acceptable if it were my own reputation as a tiler, by accepting this deal you have accepted part of the responsibility, and why should that be, you didn't supply the materials. The clients were advised by you that the materials being supplied may be sub standard and may well not be the best choice. In cases like this, and if it happens in the future you need to protect yourself from recourse. When I'm asked to fix under these circumstances I have paperwork saying 'SIGN HERE!' and frees me from liability. Watch the SLY BUGGERS! run for cover when this bit of paperwork gets pulled out.
signing a disclaimer such as this wouldnt hold up in a uk court if you used materials you knew were going to fail you are at fault as because as an expert you have the right to walk away and refuse to do something you know wont last BUT as a tool to get the buggers to use the right stuff its very effective! thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

K

Knackered Knees

signing a disclaimer such as this wouldnt hold up in a uk court if you used materials you knew were going to fail you are at fault as because as an expert you have the right to walk away and refuse to do something you know wont last BUT as a tool to get the buggers to use the right stuff its very effective! thanks for the tip:thumbsup:

Very true Gaz, and I'm not familar with UK laws, being from Oz. In cases like these though the 'Wise' choice for me if the clients insisted against my 'Expert' advice, would be to 'Walk away and go Hungry' rather than 'Work and starve to Death'.

Reply to Removal of grout on big job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
I have just ripped out my old bathroom and refitted it with new beige porcelain tiles. I grouted...
Replies
Views
Dazzer
D
Hi there, I’m not an experienced tradesperson by any means, so wanted to pose a question on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new signup here beginning first tiling job. We've got a conservatory room at the back...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Removal of grout on big job
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.