Discuss remove chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rachel

Hi - I posted ages ago about dodgy tiling/shower installation done in a loft conversion.
Finally we're going to have the whole thing redone (not by the original builder!).
We've had different people quoting for the job but I'd like to run sth past members of this forum

Dodgy builder put chipboard on the bathroom floor and tiled straight on top + the shower tray is not supported enough (it's resting straight on the joists).

We've had different installers/tilers quoting and:

1. Some say they can't remove the chipboard and will add 18mm WPB ply on top of the chipboard. This will lead to us having a step into the bathroom.

2. Some say they can cut the chipboard and replace with 18 mm WPB ply.

We'd rather not have a step into the bathroom so we'd prefer to go with solution 2 but we are not sure how realistic it is, especially as some apparently good people told us they just wouldn't be able to do that.

Could anyone on here with experience on re-jobs with chipboards in loft involved give an opinion??
If putting WPB ply on top of chipboard does the depth have to be 18 mm or could it be less (to make less of a step from the ensuite to the bedroom part)?

Many thanks in advance

R

Rich

It is hard to say without seeing the room. If the tiler is going to overboard using ply than it must be a min 18mm boil and water proof marine grade ply. Is there much movement in the chipboard? If the floor is solid, or you can make the floor solid by screwing down into the joists then I would over board with a cement board, these are much better for the purpose and will only add 6mm rather than the 18mm ply.

But the floor must be made deflection (bounce) free before installing these boards as they provide a brilliant surface to bond to but they will add no strength to the floor, any bounce in that chipboard and you will have cracked and loose tiles.

Have a look at the link below, might explain them a little better and give you other members views :thumbsup:

Plywood floors...

Reply to remove chipboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
remove chipboard?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.