Discuss remove or over tile ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

skim

Hi guys new to this forum have been reading posts for the last month and find it very informative. Im a plasterer by trade and have got 2 weeks of work so my challange is to strip all of the bathroom and re tile. all of the walls are plasterboard and i have removed 3 walls back to the stud. my question is the last wall had 2 layers of tile on it i have removed the first layer but the first layer is solid, is it better to remove this one back aswell or could i clean up the tiles and put a bondiing agent on it and tile ??

B

Bubblecraft

If they are on a stud wall, just smash through them & get it back to the stud then re-sheet. I take it its not a large area being only one bathroom wall? You will be exceeding weight limits of your plasterboard tiling on top so best to re-sheet.

If they are on a solid wall & you are happy that the wall is square enough to tile from & tiles are sound, then & only then tile on tile. Double check for blown plaster. You will hear this by tapping on the tiles. Clean up your tiles with sugar soap, scratch the surface of the tile with an angle grinder to give you a good key then coat with an SBR. With the tiles you have chosen, you will be able to tile on top using Bal Grip (some prefer Bal White Star or using an cement based SPF. Depends on your tiling speed)

For your other 3 walls (and your forth if you are replacing the stud) sheet out with 12.5mm plasterboard. Your PB can take up to 32kg pm2. I know you are a plasterer & your natural instinct maybe to give it a skim but don't. You will be reducing your weight limit down to 20kg pm2. Plus you only have 2 weeks of so drying & tiling times are a no no. A 12mm ceramic tile inc adhesive & grout will weigh in at 28.52kg pm2 just to give you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to remove or over tile ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB