Discuss Removing a floating floor and tiling - first timer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Nafeun

Hi guys,

Firstly, can I say that these forums are great!! I am a DIY newbie however being the son of a builder I really do have to give these things a bash.

I live in a 3 bedroom detached house which is about 14 years old. The ground floor is the dreaded “floating” MDF on top of polystyrene. My wife and I decided to tile the dining room, kitchen (inc pantry), utility and downstairs loo in one colour porcelain along with a kitchen refit. I was going to follow the ‘advice’ of a tiler I know and tile directly on top of the MDF using a flex however I came across these forums and im glad I did.

To tackle the job I have purchased 40MM Marmox, Bal primer, Bal SPF, Mapei grout and some reinforced tape along with some power tools.

I have almost finished ripping the flooring out however have some questions.

Please look at the pictures below:

Lovely stuff:

p1000934b.jpg

What im left with:

p1000941z.jpg

(dining room)

p1000942ag.jpg

(kitchen - need to rip the rest out of the utility)

p1000948z.jpg

(pantry)

One corner I am concerned about is in the dining room, the MDF had cracked and I knew the floor was slightly uneven. This is what I am facing:

p1000945i.jpg

p1000943r.jpg

Now the second row of blocks have been unevenly laid and has put a lip in the floor as you can see. I am hoping I do not have to use SLC for the base as my wife would kill me and the extra cost.

I am thinking of maybe chipping the protruding problem away with a chisel and thus being nice and flat ready for the marmox? This is the only issue with the floor – the rest is quite even.

p1000946a.jpg

What can I place over this expansion gap? – I was going to peg it slightly to give it some support and then lay the marmox over it??

Suggestions are more than welcome J

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing a floating floor and tiling - first timer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Removing a floating floor and tiling - first timer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.