UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Removing old adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

StephenR

I've pulled many bathrooms apart and the one thing I can never predict is what the surface underneath will be like. Does the adhesive stay on the walls or come away with the tiles. Does the wall come with it. Does the action of taking off the tiles weaken the walls, destroy the substrate. Even of the tiles come off well, is the substrate suitable (for all sorts of reasons) for retiling?

If the surface is sound and you only have to remove old adhesive, a long two handed 6" blade scraper will do the trick and don't skimp on having a sharp blade.

cheers,

Stephen

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
What are the tiles you are planning to fix? I think answer this question first is critical. You could spend a few days cleaning up all the old plasterboard only to find your tiles weight 40kg per m2.
Personally though be it plasterboard or hardibacker, both are cheap enough to purchase and relatively easy to install. For a small outlay you'll save yourself a couple of days of tedious graft.

T

tfs

If its plasterboard, I would just rip off all the tiles areas and resheat if possible.

Leaves a superior surface to tile to in comparison to old torn up plasterboard surface.

I would tank too if possible.

Attachments

• P7190078.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 101
  • P7190084.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 103
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing old adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.