Discuss Removing paint from walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I do not like tiling over paint even if it is well sanded. I prefer to remove it. I have found that using a steamer softens the paint so it can be scraped off quite easily. BUT you must NOT hold the steamer over the paint for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and just do a small area at a time. If you over steam you risk cracking the plaster! I have just had to do two bathrooms this way, fortunately, they were not being fully tiled.

O

On one

I do not like tiling over paint even if it is well sanded. I prefer to remove it. I have found that using a steamer softens the paint so it can be scraped off quite easily. BUT you must NOT hold the steamer over the paint for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and just do a small area at a time. If you over steam you risk cracking the plaster! I have just had to do two bathrooms this way, fortunately, they were not being fully tiled.
Works for me!.....don't try and scrape the paint as soon as you remove the steamer though....I follow behind about 10 secs later with the scraper this allows the paint to cool down and scrape off easier.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing paint from walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Do you mind if i ask people experienced in tiles what should my first step be in...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB