UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Removing PVA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Happy Tiler

Hi. Our newly replastered bathroom walls were pva'd as we were going to paint them but then decided to tile. I've tried my best to remove the pva, first with soapy water, then sandpaper, and brushed with stiff metal brush (don't know if I should have used a metal one!). Having put the first coat of undiluted BAL APD on, the walls look patchy and i'm not sure whether this is because some pva may still be present but i've been over them twice with sandpaper and brush. Will it matter greatly if there are small areas with still pva on? I'm using cement based adhesive.

H

Happy Tiler

I took a couple of pics so you can see. Looks a bit sus to me, not that i've ever seen what pva looks like after prime's been put on!
I've never primed before as only ever tiled with smaller tiles using tub adhesive.
As you say, I could have I slapped it on unevenly. Of course I am a female so maybe I didn't put enough 'elbow grease' into it!

This section is the worst part in the whole bathroom on the centre wall between two windows. The other walls looks ok.

I'd really appreciate some expert advice on this.

001.jpg 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Happy Tiler

I started scraping off what i originally thought was pva residue because the walls looked patchy after coating walls with apd but i now think its the APD and it's formed a skin! When I started scraping off what I thought were patches of pva still present, the APD was peeling off. Should it goes like that? I followed the insructions on the bal adhesive bag which says to apply 2 coats of undiluted apd to newly plastered walls. The walls were well brushed with a stiff metal brush prior to application.
Please don't tell me I've got to remove it all again and apply a diluted solution :bigcry: I'm almost at my wits end.
I must admit to feeling a bit paranoid since reading horror stories about tiles falling off. It's not like i've never tiled before, I've done 3 bathrooms and 3 kitchens in the past bit I've always used tubbed adhesive with smaller tiles.

HELP!

P.S. Think I should change my username to 'Unhappy Tiler'!:lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Removing PVA in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Afternoon everyone, just after a bit of advice on preparing some walls for ceramic, possibly...
Replies
Views
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance! A...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.