UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Render+skim out of plumb!!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lukeb

Hi
Just finish scraping off old adhesive now need to get the wall plumb .
Wall are solid walls with render and plaster finish in good condition.
Wall is out level +15mm so need to fix a board to bring it to level, but.................tiles are 600x400 glazed porcelain.What would you suggest.
Worried about weight limit(weight is around 20kg 1m2tiles on its own)as wanted to dot&dub moisture board(green plasterboard):mad2:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AJPlumbing

I would use a suitable tile adhesive (that can take bed thickness up to 15mm) and a plasterer's Derby or a feather edge to get the wall plumb. When it's plumb (and adhesive has dried) use a floor trowel to spread adhesive on the wall and then stick the moisture board onto that. It will be a better bond than dot and dab for those heavy tiles. (For other jobs you can also tile direct to the wall once you've made it plumb with tile adhesive instead of boarding, but I understand for this particular job you need to board because of the tile weight, and maybe for some moisture resistance).

L

lukeb

Is the wall out at the top middle or bottom. Ultimately a flat surface is what you want even if it's not level/plumb. Or am I talking poo here and I've misunderstood you?
The wall was(as dot&dub today and will screw fix with thin washers tomorrow when addy dry) out of level(plumb)from bottom to top.Flat surface is a MUST(agree) but if not plumb it going to show on cuts in the corners-so YES you are talking a little poo or misunderstood me :smilewinkgrin:.Thanks for reply anyway.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Render+skim out of plumb!!!!!!!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m fitting a Nova Frameless 1000 x 800 Sliding Door Shower Enclosure with a low profile...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.