Discuss Renovating Portugese terracotta floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

uselessbaba

Hi guys, I have Portuguese terracotta floors (hand made St Catarina tiles), I laid these floors myself over 20 years ago and they were treated the traditional way, with boiled linseed oil and wax, over the years discolouration and white patches have developed in patches here and there ( bathrooms in particular). I would like to restore them to their original uniform finish and have read the recommendations for LTP power cleaner as an effective linseed oil remover, but is it really necessary to strip the whole floor back and start again ? I have painful memories of the time and effort required in applying this traditional finish, if I do have to strip back the whole floor are there any modern products I could use instead ? 001.jpg 016.jpg 005.jpg

D

DHTiling

Hi mark.

Certain areas it looks like lime-scale build up.. you can renovate just those areas as they really do need doing.. the only down is is you can loose the patina build up and the oxidation that gives such lovely character , but not the end of the world and will look better than that build up you have not..

Try this for cleaning and sealing methods.>>> LTP Online | Pick Finish

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Renovating Portugese terracotta floor. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi there First time poster - have had a tiler come and do our kitchen floor in terracotta...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance! A...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is my first post and I am in desperate need of advice! Last year I had a porcelain...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Renovating Portugese terracotta floor.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.