Discuss Repairing Plaster Before Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisb1357

Hi

I was looking at just a basic white 198x248mm gloss, bumpy tile with list a mosaic border.

But then again I just started to remove the blown plaster and the half the plaster has decided to fall off the wall.

Well this morning I started to remove the blown plaster. I scored around the area's in the middle but half the other plaster decided to fall off the wall which I guest its a good job I did not try and tile over before hand.
Now where do I go from here. DO i just remove the rest of the top layer of plaster skim for the whole wall as the rest just seems to crumble off and have the whole wall skimmed then maybe tile or paint.
8608765403_e207feb753_b.jpg

B

BoldreChris

Yes, looking at the photo, there isn't enough depth behind the pipes to get a layer of plasterboard on top of the existing plaster so you'll have to strip off the crumbly skim coat then repair the holes in the undercoat plaster. When that's dry, PVA the whole wall, let that dry and then skim it all flat. Then when that's dry, prime it with either SBR or a proper tiling primer and when that's dry, you're ready to tile !

Of course, if the undercoat plaster is falling off the blockwork, it'll all have to come off and then plasterboard is your best bet, as above.

C

chrisb1357

Hi

Well its all off now. did not take long to be honest as the rest just fell off. The undercoat plaster seems ok apart from them small area's none of that fell off but it does seem a little sandy when touched. Is that normal for undercoat?

Chris

Yes, looking at the photo, there isn't enough depth behind the pipes to get a layer of plasterboard on top of the existing plaster so you'll have to strip off the crumbly skim coat then repair the holes in the undercoat plaster. When that's dry, PVA the whole wall, let that dry and then skim it all flat. Then when that's dry, prime it with either SBR or a proper tiling primer and when that's dry, you're ready to tile !

Of course, if the undercoat plaster is falling off the blockwork, it'll all have to come off and then plasterboard is your best bet, as above.

C

chrisb1357

The plan is to remove the radiator and pipes and to fit a towel rail. The pipe from celling for the soil stack we want to box in.

To fix boards to that wall would it be done by fixing battens to the wall first then the boards to them or do the boards fix direct to wall.

Chris

On another note. What ever you do to the wall sort that unsightly pipework to the radiator at the same time.
Id be inclined to reboard myself.

Reply to Repairing Plaster Before Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB